Winthrop Master Has Heart Attack

Davis in Fair Condition, Officials Say

By Joe Mathews

Winthrop House Master and Professor of Sociology James A. Davis is in fair condition after suffering a heart attack Sunday, said an official in the care unit at Mt. Auburn Hospital, where Davis is staying.

Students in Winthrop and professors in the sociology department expressed shock yesterday after learning of Davis's condition.

"He's a colleague who is extremely important to the department and one of the most decent human beings I have known," said Aage B. Sorensen, chair of the sociology department. "I wish that he would recover speedily."

Other professors echoed Sorensen's remarks. "I was shocked," said Professor of Sociology Peter V. Marsden. "Jim Davis and I are good friends."

Students eating dinner in Winthrop dining hall last night signed a get-well card and talked about their house master.

"He's a great guy and I hope nothing happens to him," said Kabir Misra '92.

"He's my adviser and I'm very surprised and shocked," added Catherine W. Zipf '94.

Students in Winthrop said they first learned of Davis's condition Monday when they saw a note signed by house senior tutor Greg Mobley next to the doors to Winthrop's two buildings, Gore and Standish.

"Master Davis is resting comfortably at Mt. Auburn Hospital in the coronary unit," the note read. "We will keep you posted on his progress."

But house officials refused yesterday to release all but the sketchiest details of Davis's heart attack and current condition. Assistant to the Masters Deb Troutman said yesterday that the masters's office would release a written statement "at a later time."

Davis, 62, chaired the sociology department from 1980 to 1983.

His wife, Co-Master Martha Davis, said last night that the heart attack was the professor's first and that he has otherwise been in good health.

"He's in great health, and he's the last man for this to happen to," she said.

Davis also said that her husband would be back in the master's quarters at Winthrop in a matter of days.