CONCERTS

The Master Singers--present "Songs of the Shepherds: A 16th and 17th Century Christmas." In the First Parish Church in Lexington, on the Battle Green at 7 Harrington Rd. Friday and Saturday, Dec. 13 and 14, at 8 p.m. Tickets are $12, $10 for students and elders. For information call 862-5061.

Music Sacra--presents the Christmas story told in carols old and new: "A Feast of English Carols." At the Harvard Epworth Church in Harvard Square, Saturday, Dec. 14 at 8 p.m. Tickets are $10 at the door, $8 in advance and $7 for students and elders, and are available by calling 298-7962.

Boston Symphony Orchestra--with conductor Seiji Ozawa and pianist Maria Tipo performs Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 21 in C, K. 467 and Strauss's "An Alpine Symphony." in Boston's Symphony Hall. Thursday, Dec. 12 at 10:30 a.m. (open rehearsal) and 8 p.m. and Friday, Dec. 13 at 2 p.m. For tickets and ticket information call Symphony Charge at 266-1200.

MIT Chamber Orchestra Concert--performs Nielsen's The Little Suite, Op. 1. Wagner's Wesendonck Songs and Mozart's Symphony No. 41, "Jupiter." In MIT's Kresge Auditorium, 84 Mass. Ave. Saturday, Dec. 14, at 8 p.m.

MIT Women's Chorale Holiday Concert--with music by Faure, John Rutter, Randall Thompson and others. In MIT's Killian Hall, MIT building 14, 160 Memorial Dr. Sunday, Dec. 15 at 3 p.m. For information call 625-2941.

Beethoven's Birthday Concert--with classical music performers from MIT performing Archduke Trio, Serenade in D and other works. In MIT's Kresge Auditorium, 84 Mass. Ave. Monday, Dec. 16 at 8 p.m.

The Itzkoff-Shapiro-Rider Trio--performs a benefit concert of works by Haydn, Beethoven and Brahms for All Newton Music School. At the All Newton Music School, 312 Chestnut St., West Newton. Tickets are $15, $10 for students and elders and are available by calling 527-4553.

The Pythagorean Festival Orchestra Annual Season Concert--featuring soloists and a number of choral societies in Mozart's The Great Mass in C Minor and Britten's Ceremony of Carols. A Merrimack ARTS Concert Series at Merrimack College in North Andover. Tickets are $12 and are available by calling (508) 837-5197.

The Handel & Haydn Society--presents its annual performance of Haydn's Messiah under the direction of John Nelson. At Boston's Symphony Hall. Friday, Dec. 13 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $100, $40, $32, $23 and $16 and are available at all Ticketmaster outlets.

Boston University School for the Arts Faculty Recital--a performance of dances and marches by Mozart. In the Concert Hall at the Boston University School for the Arts, 855 Commonwealth Ave., Boston. For information call 353-3345.