Lady Cagers Pound CCSU, 97-75

Flandermeyer Scores Career-High 28 Points; Butler Adds 19 for Crimson

By Justin R.P. Ingersoll

Some games you have to win.

After losing to weak opponents such as Fordam and Hartford, the Harvard women's basketball team was itching to prove that it could get the job done against inferior teams.

Harvard (2-4) proved itself by delivering a 97-75 pounding to the Blue Devils of Central Connecticut State on Wednesday night in New Britain, Ct.

The first half was played fairly evenly, with both teams trading baskets. At the half, Harvard led 41-33.

An eight-point lead wasn't comforting, though.

The Blue Devils aren't exactly the caliber of their namesakes in Durham, North Carolina. They are a small, winless team at 0-6.

"We weren't sure how they'd play," said junior guard Erin Maher. "It was kind of scary letting a team like that have 33 points at the half."

After halftime, however, the Crimson came out strong and went to work on the shorter Blue Devils which played surprisingly weak defense.

"They really didn't play good defense," said junior center Debbie Flandermeyer. "They didn't help out on the weak side, so we just lobbed passes in over whoever was guarding me."

The Crimson got the ball in well to Flandermeyer who exploded for a career high 28 points.

"It was the first time I've ever felt I could just shoot over the opposition. Usually you have to make a good low-post move," Flandermeyer said.

Freshman Tammy Butler also poured in 19 points from down low.

When the two big women were not scoring, the forwards set picks for the guards, who drilled three-pointers at will.

Harvard was 8-16 from beyond the are as freshman guard Nikole Cronk and Maher buried 3 tres each.

"We shot well from outside Wednesday night and moved the ball around better," said Harvard coach Kathy Delaney Smith."

"We got the win and that's important," said senior co-captain Maura Healey. "It's nice to get back on the right track. We played well."

Playing against weaker opponents like Central Connecticut has been a challenge for the Crimson thus far. The Crimson already has conceded two losses that probably should have been victories.

"We shouldn't have lost to Hartford or Fordham," said Delaney Smith. In those two games Harvard was out-rebounded by shorter teams.

"They were mental letdowns," said Delaney Smith. "We should be 4-2."

At 2-4, the team that was picked first in the Ivy League coaches' preseason poll, is not where it wants to be.

Saturday night's home game against the University of Massachusetts will be an excellent chance for a third win. Last year UMass was a horrific 0-27.

The Crimson will also benefit from the return of senior co-captain Heather Harris, who should add valuable rebounds in the forward position.

Harris has seen minimal playing time because of a knee injury sustained on the first day of practice. Sophomore forwards Katie Phillips and Kimberly Seidel remain side-lined due to injuries.

"We know what we have to do and we know how to work together," said Flandermeyer. "The next few games should show us how much we have improved."

Maher led the team with 10 rebounds from her shooting guard position.