Buzz Off

THE BEE CLUB:

IT'S ONLY BEEN A FEW weeks since the hoariest of the hoary Ivy League single-sex clubs--Yale's Skull and Bones--won a stinging legal battle to go co-ed. But Harvard's final clubs are still bumbling around with a single-sex policy. And now there's a new twist.

The latest club--The Bee--is all-female. Which really makes no difference to us. The Bee--like the all-male final clubs--is still exclusionary and elitist.

Denying men access to The Bee hive (or whatever they are going to call it), just because they are men, is sexist by definition. And it legitimizes the final clubs themselves, which for decades have denied women access to a network of job connections and subjugated women to second-class status.

Even if the club queen decided to admit men, The Bee would still be elitist. Admitting people to an organization on the basis of their lineage, prep school, bank account, sports team affiliation or amount of hair spray used is lame and unacceptable.

HENCE WE HAVE THREE SUGGESTIONS for The Bee. First, change the name. Second, stop droning on about how the club doesn't exist. Third, admit to the club anyone who wants to join. Students, faculty, dining hall workers, business editors--anyone. Until then, our advice is simple: Buzz off, you pathetic elitists.