Davis Returns Home

Winthrop Master Back After Heart Attack

By Joe Mathews

Winthrop House Master and Professor of Sociology James A. Davis, who suffered a heart attack early last week, returned home to the Winthrop master's quarters yesterday.

Davis, who spent eight days in Mt. Auburn Hospital, was discharged yesterday after passing a stress test Monday. He spent his first day home resting and relaxing, said his wife, Co-Master Martha Davis.

"He's resting and feeling quite swell," said Martha Davis. "He's just going to ease back into this."

Martha Davis said her husband will slowly resume his duties both in the house and in the classroom.

"We have to play it by ear," said Martha Davis. "We have every indication that everything will be better."

James Davis, a former chair of the Sociology Department, is scheduled to teach "Sociology 15: American Society" in the spring. Sociology Department officials said yesterday they hope to have him back in the classroom by February.

"I talked to him Sunday, but I didn't ask him about it," said Aage B. Sorensen, the department chair. "I certainly hope he will be back by the spring term."

Winthrop House students yesterday said they were happy to have James Davis back.

"I think it's wonderful that he's all right," said Megan K. Fritschell '94.

"We're obviously happy to have him back," added Bill Carroll '92, who said that he looked forward to seeing James Davis back in the Winthrop Dining Hall.