Hey Coach K., Lighten Up

Trains Of Thought

By John B. Trainer

"The team that should have won tonight, won."

Now, admittedly, Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski was a little hard up for things to say after his team massacred Harvard, 118-65, on Saturday.

But, really, Coach.

Duke? A more talented team? Gee, thanks for letting us know.

For the top-ranked team in the country, Duke did not show a lot of class while walloping the Crimson.

Besides Krzyzewski's demonstration of his absolute grasp of the obvious, his post-game quotes did not include any memtion of the effort put forth by the valiant Crimson athletes down there in Durham, N.C.

Instead, he talked about himself. His team. His defense. How the game was almost a practice for the Blue Devils.

"We tried to work a little more on our half-court offense in the second half, hitting our big men, which we weren't doing in the first half," Krzyzewski said.

Couldn't get the ball inside at will? My nose bleeds for you, Coach.

It wouldn't be so bad if he had at least said the Crimson players had played hard. But not even that.

Adding insults to injury were the comments of the play-by-play reporter. The official release of the Duke sports information department had lines like these:

"T. Hill Monster DUNK a-Hurley"

"T. Hill DUNK (authority) a-Laettner"

"Clark (another) In-Your-Face DUNK"

That was in Matt McClain's face, by the way. It was his fifth personal foul, with 22 seconds left to play.

Then this, my personal favorite:

"T. Hill Tomahawk King-Kong DUNK off steal (Tom-a-Kong)"

This is in the official release, mind you. (I think the phrase "Tom-a-Kong" is a bit excessive.)

Duke won, and it certainly let us know it.

Maybe its animosity stems from Duke's academic inferiority complex.

Whatever the reason, Duke's arrogance was out of place and a sad statement on the mentality of the Blue Devils' program.

Besides, there are a whole lot of things that Harvard actually did BETTER than the Blue Devils:

For instance, the Crimson out rebounded Duke on the offensive end, 12-9. It also got more team rebounds, 4-2.

And Bobby Hurley, one of the premier point guards in the country, did not register a steal in 23 minutes of play.

Take that, Coach K.