U.C. Chair Polls Council

Rauch Sends Out Re-Election Feelers to Members

By Joanna M. Weiss

Tradition doesn't hold much weight with Undergraduate Council Chair Evan B. Rauch '91-'92, who surprised council members this week with an election poll, his second unprecedented move since his announcement to step down from the council's top post in April.

The poll--which Rauch paid for himself--asked whether he should seek reelection for the spring council term despite the fact that he is a second semester senior.

"Unfortunately, I cannot simply run for re-election and let the Council make the decision," Rauch said in a letter he sent with the poll. "If I run, some well-qualified candidates are likely to stay out of the race. Even if a majority of Council members would prefer a chair who is not a second semester senior, I might still win for lack of qualified opponents."

So far only representative Adam D. Taxin '93 has announced his intention to run for the council's top post, although several other prominent council members have said they are considering such a bid.

Last spring the council rejected two amendments to its by-laws which would change the timing of representatives terms to begin in the spring. One of the amendments, which would effectively bar second semester seniors from serving as chair, came within seven votes of passing.

Rauch described the poll as a way to consider the controversy without allowing the debate to interfere with elections. "It's more fair for everyone involved," he said.

Although the poll asks council members to specifically consider only Rauch's reelection bid, it contains three statements which argue the advantages and disadvantages of electing a second semester senior as chair. The statements were written by Rauch, Social Chair Bonnie N. Grant '92, and council member Eugene S. Kim '92.

Grant wrote in support of second semester seniors holding the office, while Kim argued that second semester seniors should not serve as chair. Rauch's statement advocated his election for a second term, followed by an early resignation in April.

Rauch said that he will adhere to the results of the poll when planning for the February council election.

Council Reacts

Many council members said that Rauch's poll was a positive gesture, reflecting his desire to encourage greater participation among the council's rank-and-file.

"I think it's admirable to ask people what they think," said David A. Aronberg '93, vice chair of the finance committee. "I was very impressed."

But others see the poll as an indication that Rauch has little confidence in his own vote-garnering abilities.

"This poll has made me lose a little bit of respect for his leadership," said council member James L. Doak '94.

Former Council Treasurer Christopher J. Borgen '91 echoed Doak's sentiments, saying "I think Evan should have made the choice on his own without putting it to a poll."