At Breakfast, Students Are Upbeat, Cautious

By Joshua W. Shenk and Ira E. Stoll

At breakfast tables at upperclass Houses early this morning, students said they were guardedly optimistic about Iraq's proposed withdrawal from Kuwait.

In contrast to the situation after the first U.S. air strikes last month, the news from Iraq did not dominate conversations, as many students were unaware that the developments had occurred.

"I'm skeptical, but it sounds like a good start," one Adams House student said, rushing off to a 9:00 a.m. class.

"It's great," Maria Ginzburg '92 said. "I want all the troops to come back because I know people out there. It would really be nice to see them again."

"Of course, I think it's wonderful," Frieda T. Fan '93 said. "Wow, I really don't know what I can say about that, besides it's good news." But every statement of optimism or happiness was tempered with skepticism.

"Five years down the road if things say as they are, Saddam Hussein is going to be a much bigger thorn in the world's side than he is now," said Yermolay A. Solzehnitsyn '92. Ginzburg said, "I'm really skeptical. Even if they withdraw, what's the condition? Is Hussein going to stay? How is the U.S. going to deal with him in the future?"

"I'm very surprised," Fan said, "because I thought that Saddam Hussein seemed like the kind of fanatic who would never give up."

Said Fleming, "I think we need to be suspicious of any action on Saddam Hussein's part, since he's demonstrated his unreliability. However, I don't think we can afford not to look into any peace initiative wholeheartedly."

"I'm skeptical, but the possibility is there, and it looks like the U.S. is actually in a position to negotiate a settlement that is favorable to them," said Malvinder S. Hoonjan '92.

I think we have to be careful not to let our initial exuberance not cloud our judgment," said Skardon F. Baker '92, a ROTC member who said he has friends in the Gulf.

Even more cautious was Ethan G. Stone '91. "They haven't moved on the ground, so I don't know," he said, also speculating that the announcement was aimed more at "people listening to Iraqi radio in Jordan" than it was aimed at President Bush.

Several students said that they were, and always had been, opposed to the war.

"I'm afraid that our military success will be confused with a moral success. I'm also afraid that it wll legitimize a certain way of treating third world--especially Middle Eastern countries," said Adam T. Lahner '92.

"I've been against the war the whole time," said Minna M. Jarvenpaa '92. "I think the U.S. should cease all operations and begin to negotiate with Iraq."

"I think it would be a good time to try again to negotiate," said Katherine F. Pearson. "I wouldn't jump to pull out the troops right new, and I'd be weary," she added.

Many students said they were unsure of both Iraq's sincerity and American willingness to stop the war.