W. Squash Beaten

By Rebecca D. Knowles

What the women's squash team needs 'round about now is the fairy squash mother to give them a little good health, some happy muscles, and a dose of confidence.

After all, although it lost a heart-breaker to Princeton, 5-4, two weeks ago--also losing their chance at another year of National Champion status--Harvard is, nevertheless, the nation's second-ranked team.

This weekend at the United States Squash Racquet Association tournament in New Haven, however, the five 'chosen' members of the team didn't play like the number-two team they compose.

Of course, with fifth-seed Carrie Cunningham staying home because of illness and second-seed Mary Greenhill defaulting in her final round because of a pulled hamstring, the Crimson could not be expected to play up to par.

Only freshman eighth-seed Heather Sullivan, substituting at the last minute for Cunningham, played the game with the flare and tenacity for which the racquetwomen are noted. Sullivan upset Tiger sixth-seed Elizabeth Van Orman in a four-game thriller. After she lost the first game, Sullivan caught on to Van Orman's front-court game, moved as if her feet were on fire, and carried the next three games.

"Heather completely surprised everyone out there with that win," Assistant Coach Chris Schutz said.

Sullivan lost to Princeton's third seed, Mary Belknap, in three games, but Belknap has lost only one collegiate match--to Harvard Co-Captain Stephanie Clark--two weeks ago.

This time around, Clark didn't get a chance to play Belknap. Friday night, the Crimson third seed played phenomenonally, beating Andrea DaRis, a professional player whose temper had her banned from the courts for a year.

"I wouldn't have picked Stephanie to win that one," Schutz said. "Andrea's tough and gives up nothing."

Clark then was sent to the consolation round by professional Sarah Luther, ranked among the top five in the country.

Crimson second-seed Greenhill had a tough first draw, playing former national champion and Princeton first-seed Demer Holleran in the first round. Greenhill not only lost in three, but she also pulled her hamstring, forcing her to default from her next match.

Harvard's Brooke Bailey and Daphne Onderdonk were eliminated in the first round.

NOTEBOOK: All the players will have one more day to regain their health for the match against Yale at Hemenway on Wednesday.