Iceman Hope For Return To '89 Glory

By John B. Roberts

The 1981 and 1989 versions of the Harvard men's hockey team are separated by more than eight years.

In 1981, the Crimson finished at 11-14-1, garnering only four wins more than the 1979 squad, which had the worst record of any Harvard team in 40 years.

In 1989, the Crimson compiled a 31-3 season, and were fitted for NCAA Champion rings.

But these two Crimson squads of the 1980s stand together in one way--they were the only two Harvard teams of that decade to capture the coveted Beanpot.

Junior netminder Wade Lau, who suffered through the 1979 night-mare as a freshman, blanked Boston College, 2-0, in the 1981 Beanpot final. The previous Monday, the Crimson had downed fourth-ranked Northeastern, the defending 'Pot champion, 10-2.

Two years ago, there was little surprise at a Crimson championship, but much relief. Entering the semifinal against Boston College, Harvard was 15-1, but had not made it past the first round of the Beanpot since the '81 triumph.

After squeaking by the Eagles, 5-4, behind Chuckie Hughes' 38 saves, the Crimson won a 9-6 shootout over the Terriers in the final, removing the eight-year-old monkey from then-Harvard Coach Bill Cleary's broad shoulders.

Despite the different records, both teams travelled the same path in the Boston Garden. And as the only Harvard teams to do so in the '80s, these two squads bracket an era of Harvard hockey which can never be repeated, as Harvard followed dismal 1981 by reaching six of the next seven NCAA tournaments, culminating in the 1989 championship.

The time since has been, in a somewhat fitting manner, mediocre. While last year's squad reached the Beanpot final, the results were not so pleasing, as Boston University revenged itself with an 8-2 laugher. The rest of the season had its similar ups and downs.

Tonight, the 95th edition of the Crimson enters the Beanpot with something to prove. Having lost to both B.U. and B.C. earlier this season, Harvard has extra motivation for a tourney win.

Sitting in a tie for fourth place in the ECAC, only three points out of second place, the Crimson resemble the 1989 squad more than the 1981 team, though a national championship seems more than a longshot at this point.

No longer a nationally-ranked squad following its January slump, Harvard also needs to win the Beanpot for its post-season ramifications. Although the 1981 squad could not move beyond that year's Beanpot title, the Crimson built on that win, and reached the NCAA finals for the first time ever in 1983.

The 1989 'Pot was a waypost on the way to St. Paul, and the Crimson marched right from the Boston Garden to Minnesota, slowing down only twice before flying back to Cambridge as national champions.

As Lau said to The Crimson two years ago, remembering the thrill of 'Pot glory: "The win was the biggest win that the program had in five years. It was the turning point."

Tonight, the Crimson should keep that in mind.