Dining Halls to Switch To Recyclable Styrofoam

By Alissa W. Lee

In response to student concerns about environmentally unsound practices in the dining halls, Harvard Dining Services administrators are attempting to phase out the non-recyclable, non-biodegradable wax-lined drinking cups currently in use at the College.

The Dining Services will begin their environmental efforts shortly after spring break, when it will sell at no profit reusable plastic mugs bearing Harvard logos. Dining hall workers will encourage students to carry the mugs to all meals in a cooperative effort to cut down on paper use, according to Dining Services Director Michael Berry.

"We are approaching environmental issues in a pro-active manner," Berry said. He added that he had decided to make the mugs available after observing the success of that practice at the University of California in Los Angeles.

Berry said that, if the mug sale is unsuccessful, Dining Services officials will consider other options, such as styrofoam or glass cups. But Berry said that though styrofoam is inexpensive and recyclable, it is not biodegradable and he does not anticipate that students will recycle on a regular basis.

Glasses, which according to Director of Operations Kevin O'Loughlin are the most environmentally safe of all the options, are available in all upperclass houses.

But according to Jeremy Hockenstein '94 of the Environmental Action Committee (EAC), the Freshman Union does not have the storage or dishwashing facilities necessary for maintaining glasses.

Last semester, the EAC instituted a program similar to the Dining Services' Buy-A-Mug plan. They sold plastic Earth mugs in the dining halls and pushed students to conserve paper by bringing the mugs to meals.

Thus far, according to EAC member Brian R. Trelstad '91, the supply has not met the demand. "They have been very successful," he said. "When I last went to the Union, I saw at least two to three dozen being used."

Hockenstein said that Freshman Union workers throw away 20 garbage bags of cups every day. "I'm glad that the dining hall is taking a leadership position and setting an example for the entire Harvard community," he said, adding that the EAC is considering setting up recycling bins for styrofoam cups that do not contain chlorofluorocarbons