Memorial Service Held For Ec Graduate Student

Students, teachers and colleagues mourned the death of David A. Renelt, a fourth-year graduate student in economics, at a memorial service held earlier this week.

Renelt collapsed in the Yard on Febuary 20, and died shortly afterwards--the result of an undetected, fast-growing cancerous tumor around his aorta. Renelt was 26 years of age.

A Ph.D candidate in economics, Renelt's work focused on economic growth and public finance in an international context.

Professor of Economics Robert J. Barro, who both taught Renelt and worked with him on his research, said he was a "wonderful student to work with and a very fine person." Barro added that Renelt had done "significant research for his dissertation."

Barro also said that Renelt was a very spiritual man who demonstrated interest in the religious aspects of his economic research, though they were not his primary focus.

Margot N. Gill, the dean for student affairs at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, said Renelt was a "wonderful student and a remarkable, talented young man."

Renelt also taught a number of undergraduate sections in the economics department.

"He was a popular teacher and a popular person. The great thing about Dave was that he was always there when you needed him," said Hernan I. Saenz '92, who took a course on economic development with Renelt last year. "He always ended a conversation, 'Well if you need anything, give me a ring.'"

This spring, Renelt had been a teaching fellow for a course on American economic policy offered by Baker Professor of Economics Martin S. Feldstein '61.

Originally from Aberdeen, South Dakota, Renelt spent his undergraduate years at the College of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minn.