HUPD Says Number Of Crimes Up in 1990

By Jonathan Samuels

The Harvard community fell victim to more crimes in 1990 than in 1989, a Harvard police official said yesterday.

Reports of assaults, larceny and breaking and entering on Harvard property jumped significantly last year, according to Carl A. Tempesta, Management Information Services Coordinator for the Harvard Police Department.

"It might have something to do with the bad economy, forcing people to find ways to make ends meet," Tempesta said. "Unfortunately, there are a lot of factors that are increasing the occurrence of crime."

The number of assaults rose from 41 in 1989 to 70 in 1990, Tempesta said, more than three times the number in 1984, when officers recorded 23 such incidents. He said that "the majority of the attacks were on non-Harvard affiliates, including 10 on police officers."

Tempesta said the number of larcenies rose drastically, both in misdemeanors, which are thefts of less than $250, and in felonies, thefts of more than $250. The lesser crimes rose from 487 to 567, while the more serious ones totalled 266, well over the 231 registered in 1989. Comparable figures from before 1989 are not available because a law increased the minimum felony value from $100.

Incidents involving the breaking and entering of property also met the steady upward trend dating back to 1984, Tempesta said, as 210 of these events occurred in 1990, nine more than 1989's tally. The number has increased each year since the police department began keeping accurate records in 1984, he said. That year saw 54 break-and-enters.

Deputy Chief Jack W. Morse said that while crime at Harvard has increased in these areas, the problem is not unique to Harvard or Cambridge.

"Society is becoming more violent these days," Morse said. "People have more legal protection and less liability these days for committing crimes, and it's just a reflection on society that more crimes are committed. It's a trend that is affecting cities across the country."

Both Morse and Tempesta said they were encouraged by the lack of hate and race crimes.

"The number of cases involving such crimes were very minimal--it's great that we don't have to deal with that," Tempesta said.

Morse said that while Harvard and Cambridge can improve safety for area residents, much of the responsibility should fall on the potential victims of crimes.

"It's true that increased lighting and fewer high bushes would deter a lot of criminals from their activities," Morse said, "but people at Harvard should take it upon themselves to walk in groups at night, lock up their property and put their belongings in lockers or safe places. And Harvard likes to maintain a happy balance between appearance of the campus and its safety."

Tempesta said the figures account for incidents occurring on all Harvard propery including the main campus, the Business School in Boston, the Medical School in Allston, and all Harvard Real Estate properties