Mackay-Smith Named Acting First-Year Dean

By Joshua W. Shenk

Virginia L. Mackay-Smith 78, a former senior advisor with extensive experience in the Freshman Dean's Office, has been selected to take over as acting dean of first-year students on July 1.

Mackay-Smith, who is currently assistant dean of first-year students, will replace Henry C. Moses, the dean of 14 years who is leaving to take the headmastership of a private school in New York City.

Mackay-Smith's appointment was announced yesterday by Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57, who this week will finish selecting the 12-person committee charged with finding a permanent replacement for Moses.

"She has a very good knowledge and a wide range of experience with freshmen," Jewett said of Mackay-Smith, who will be working with W.C. Burriss Young '55, the long-standing associate dean of first-year students and Karen L. Heath '85, a senior advisor who will serve as acting assistant dean of first-years for 1991-92.

Mackay-Smith predicted that the three-person team, because of their experience working together, will be "phenomonally successful."

Jewett's announcement comes three months after Moses said that he would step down from his post at the end of the academic year. Shortly thereafter, Jewett said he would appoint an acting dean, while a committee searches for a permanent dean and at the same time conducts an extensive review of the first year at Harvard.

Jewett said that he decided early on to select an acting dean from within the current ranks of the FDO to facilitate transition in an office that will see two administration changeovers in two years.

"In a short period of time, it's important to bring together people who have direct knowledge of the dean's office and can take over immediately," Jewett said.

Jewett said that Mackay-Smith's close administrative relationship with outgoing Dean Moses and her experience as an advisor to first-year students will help her be effective in her new role.

Mackay-Smith served for two years as a senior advisor in the North Yard before moving into Pennypacker Hall this year, where she is an academic advisor for approximately 30 students. She has been assistant dean for academic affairs for three years and a proctor for the past six years.

Although she recently received a masters degree from the School of Public Health, Mackay-Smith dropped out of the doctoral program there to devote more time to her advising and administrative work.

"I got to a point where I had to decide which way to go, and I decided to follow the freshmen," Mackay-Smith said