Batsmen Back On Track

Harvard Sweeps Columbia, Splits With Elis

By Sean Becker

After a weekend in which it went 3-1 against EIBL competition, the Harvard baseball team (16-15, 8-4 EIBL) finds itself very much in the hunt for the league title. By splitting this weekend's games with Yale and sweeping Columbia at Soldiers Field Road, the Crimson has moved within two games of first-place Army.

The Crimson suffered its only setback of the weekend when they dropped the opener of Saturday's doubleheader to Yale, 4-2. The Elis got on the board early, reaching Harvard starter Sean Johnston for four runs in the first two innings.

The tone of the game was set in the second inning when Harvard had the bases loaded and one out. An RBI double by Designated Hitter Nick DelVecchio had brought in one Crimson run, but Harvard couldn't produce anymore, even with the bases full.

Right Fielder Mike Hill hit a hard grounder to short that bounced off of the Yale shortstop's chest and directly into the hands of the Eli second baseman who was covering the bag. The bounce wasn't the only thing that wasn't in the Crimson's favor, as Hill appeared to beat the relay throw to first, but the firstbase umpire then called Hill out, and the inning was over.

Johnston held Yale scoreless after the second inning, but was tagged with the loss when he didn't get any further offensive support.

Harvard came back in the second half of the twinbill, as they built an early lead and held on for a 9-8 win. The first six Crimson batters of the game scored as Marcel Durand, Mike Giardi, Jim Mrowka, Delvecchio and Phil Andriola all came up with RBI hits.

Yale closed the gap in the top of the second inning, scoring two runs off of freshman starter Jeff Mitchell. Although the Elis pieced together eight straight singles for their runs, the hits were purely Texas Leaguers as Mitchell was not hit hard.

DelVecchio showed Yale how to hit the ball properly in the bottom of the third as he deposited a leadoff home run deep over the right field fence.

Yale put together a threat in the fourth, loading the bases with one out. Rolaids man Peter Rau came in for the Crimson, however, and induced a strike out and grounder to short that ended the rally.

Harvard extended its winning streak to three yesterday with a sweep of Columbia. In the opener, junior pitcher Tom Hurley went the distance and picked up the victory in Harvard's 5-3 win.

"I pitched good enough to win," Hurley said. "It was nothing spectacular."

Hurley got some support early, as the Crimson put two runs on the board in the first inning. After a Durand walk, Dan Scanlan hit a triple that tantalizingly danced on the right field fence before coming back into play. Shortstop Mike Giardi then plated Scanlan with an RBI single.

The Lions came back with two unearned runs in the second, but Harvard took the lead for good when Mike Hill brought home Mrowka (3-for-3) with a single.

Harvard added an insurance run with a textbook sequence in the sixth. After a Mrowka walk, Hill laid down a sacrifice bunt and Durand's single brought home the run.

The Crimson closed its weekend with a 5-0 shutout, courtesy of pitcher Ray Desrocher. Desrocher pitched a three-hit masterpiece, striking out five and walking only two.

"I guess today everything fell into place as far as my relaxation and confidence and my confidence in guys behind me," Desrocher said. "I found my rhythm early, and stayed with it."

The Harvard hitters found their rhythm early, putting four runs on the board in the third inning. After an Andriola single, freshman third baseman Eric Weissman fouled off a bunt attempt, and Harvard coach Leigh Hogan took off the bunt sign. Weissman responded by putting the next strike over the left field fence for a two-run homer.