IT'S LEE!

The Experts All Agree: It's Gotta Be the Shoes

By Philip P. Pan

Weeks of anxiety came to an end for 1603 first-year students yesterday morning, as little white envelopes containing the results of this year's housing lottery were distributed throughout the Yard.

About 88 percent, or 380, of the 429 rooming groups that entered the lottery received one of their four choices, according to Housing Officer Kay M. Millett. The figure represents a slight increase from last year, when 85 percent of first-year rooming groups received one of their four choices.

As first-years rose early this morning, many showed signs of stress. All across the Yard students were waking up as early as 6 a.m. to check their door baskets, said Simone Cox '94.

"This morning, as I delivered papers at about eight, doors kept swinging open behind me," said Nancy L. Fresco '94. "People were really rabid."

For those Matthews residents who had not already arisen, the frustrated screams of one first-year from Cambridge that "his parents' house is closer to the crew boathouse than Cabot" served as a loud wakeup call.

"When we first found out that we had been randomized, we couldn't really believe it. We were screaming obscenties," said George J. Kim '94, who was assigned to Adams.

After the initial shock, however, most randomized students seemed to take their unexpected plight in stride. "When my roomates first saw that we had gotten Adams, everyone sort of started blankly at the wall," Fresco said. "But by lunch they had gotten used to it. One had even changed into a black outfit."

And Kim's roommate Chris M. Baird '94 conceded that, despite the initial disappointment at being assigned to Adams, "we basically resigned ourselves to it."

Some first-years said they were including sexual harassment, scientific misconduct, free speech, affirmative action and shareholder responsibility.