Panel: Education Must Go Global

Rudenstine Among Speakers

By Stephen E. Frank

Universities and institutions of higher education around the world will have to forge closer ties over the next decade, as academic training becomes more internationalized, according to participants in a forum held Saturday in Emerson Hall.

Panelists in the program, titled "The Global View: Challenges for Universities in the 21st Century," included Harvard President Neil L. Rudenstine, Wellesley President Nannerl O. Keohane, and Oxford Vice-Chancellor Sir Richard South-wood.

According to Keohane, religion, commerce, exploration and the arts and sciences have, historically, provided impulses to the development of global institutions. In the future, multinational corporations and economic alliances like the European Community will provide such impulses, she said.

But she added that physical barriers and nationalist tendencies will serve as obstacles to internationalization and that modern technology will give humans the "electronic illusion of being in touch."

"Limits to physical contact will always exist," Keohane said. "The very ease of communication may make it less likely that people will assemble."

Rudenstine, who focused on the growing internationalization of academic curricula, disagreed that physical barriers would present a problem to the development of the problem to the development of the global universit.

"People are adept at overcoming physical limitations of travel," he said. But he added that the dangers of nationalism and the expense of communication could be hindrances.

"You can fax everywhere, but it's not as inexpensive as not faxing everywhere," Rudenstine said. Harvard began to look at more ways to internationalize its students and its curriculum under former president Derek C. Bok.

Southwood said that challenges to universities in the next decade will come in the form of three pressures: increased participation in higher education, a shifting balance between public and private funding and growing internationalization.

The response, according to Southwood, should be for universities to demonstrate a commitment to equality of opportunity for all people, while contributing to the benefit of society and continuing "to maintain excellence."

"Society needs a diversity of ideas," Southwood said.

The audience of approximately 150 people included Dillon Professor of International Affairs Joseph S. Nye, Jr. and Agassiz Professor of Zoology Ernst Mayr.

The program was sponsored by the Oxford Society and the North American Offices of Oxford University as part of a plan to increase cooperation between Oxford University in England and top educational institutions in the United States. It comes as Oxford is in the midst of a worldwide capital campaign.