Douglas, Foster Are Hasty Pudding Picks

Actors to Receive Pots, Parade

By Joe Mathews, Crimson Staff Writer

The Hasty Pudding Theatricals named two film actors, Michael Douglas and Jodie Foster, as its Man and Woman of the Year earlier this week.

Douglas is scheduled to accept his award, known as the "Pudding Pot," before the opening of the Pudding's annual musical, a Las Vegas send-up called "Up Your Ante!"

The theatrical group is also planning a parade through Harvard Square to honor Foster on February 11.

"Every year we honor two actors who have made substantial contributions to the world of entertainment," said Catherine A. Gellert `93, the publicity director at the Hasty Pudding.

Douglas is best known for the roles he has played in "Fatal Attraction," "Wall Street," and "Romancing the Stone."

He is also an Academy Award winning producer who has had a hand in critically acclaimed motion pictures, including "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and "The China Syndrome."

Foster starred in this year's box office hit, "The Silence of the Lambs," and recently made her directorial de-but with "Little Man Tate," in which she also played a leading role.

She won the 1988 Academy Award for best actress for her role as a rape victim in "The Accused." Among her numerous other screen credits is the Martin Scorcese film "Taxi Driver".

The Woman of the Year Award has been presented every year since 1951. The Man of the Year award dates back to 1967.

Last year's winners were actors Diane Keaton and Clint Eastwood. The year before that, Kevin Costner and Glenn Close were honored by the Pudding.

The awards coincide with the February opening of the Hasty Pudding's annual, student-written, student-composed musical. Rehearsals for the show began this week.

"Traditionally, the Man of the Year attends the opening of the show," Gellert said.