Bok Auto Auctioned

By Betty L. Cung, Contributing Reporter

President Derek C. Bok's car was sold to the second highest bidder for $4371 in the Phillips Brooks House Association's (PBHA) silent auction on January 6, after the highest bidder declined to buy the car.

The new owners of the crimson colored Volkswagen Bug are Moshe and Carolyn Gershovich.

The car has a mileage of 45,718 and seats four people, the Gershoviches said.

"We thought about it as a big joke," Moshe Gershovich said of their bid. But he said that he was thrilled when PBHA officials notified them of the bid's success and added that the car runs "beautifully."

University Limousine

Bok, a known proponent of modest living, drove the VW to work every day for 20 years although a University limousine was available for his use. The car was a gift to Bok from his mother.

The bug is now once again being driven to campus every day by the proud new owners, who work and study at Harvard.

Moshe Gershovich is a graduate student in the history department. His wife, Carolyn A.E. Gershovich, is a graduate of the Graduate School of Education and now works for the economics department.

The funds from the auction will be divided evenly between the Homeless Committee, Cambridge Youth Enrichment Program, and the Summer Urban Program, according to Lee H. Smith, PBHA's administrative assistant.