I.M. Pei Talks to 200 at GSD

Says Relationship Between 'Life and Buildings' Is Important

By Helen L. Limm, Contributing Reporter

World renowned architect I.M. Pei discussed his career in a "conversation" with over 200 people at Piper Auditorium at the Graduate School of Design (GSD) last night.

Students and professors packed the auditorium, some hanging over the balconies, to hear the reclusive architect exhibit his designs and comment on his concepts and methods.

Pei and Design School Dean Gerald M. McCue informally retraced Pei's career, featuring slides of his most famous works, including the glass pyramid at the Louvre museum in Paris. His aggressively modern style has gained international praise because it combined innovation and symbolism with pragmatism.

"Architecture and life are together," said Pei. "It is important to find the relationship between life and buildings."

Pei continued with his analysis of architecture and said it is important to utilize the designs indigenous to the culture or environment. He said he modeled the Center for atmospheric Research in Boulder, Co after the Indian pueblos.

Yet his most famous works do not reflect this philosophy, some Design School students said.

"The whole premise of his work didn't come from the place but from somewhere else," said Evan Yassky, a Harvard graduate student in architecture.

The event was part of a series of lectures sponsored by the graduate school and hosted by Dean McCue, who will be retiring at the end of this academic year.

"This evening demonstrated for students the many dimensions of this man's talent and interests," McCue said. "He inspires others to high levels of achievement."

Pei graduated from the Design School in 1945 and held a GSD assistant professorship for three years, from 1945 to 1948.

Some members of the audience said they were fortunate to be able to catch a glimpse of such a talented but elusive architect. They said his personal comments deepened their understanding of his works.

"Pei hasn't tried to make himself a celebrity like other architects," said Michael Baenen, a member of a local architectural firm. "His personal explanations make it much more special."

"I was impressed with the discussion of form with respect to landscape, with special attention to values in urban form," said David DeSola, a MIT architecture student. "It's unusual to pay particular focus to the environment."