Lost in The Crowd: Crimson Faithful Few, Far Between

DETROIT, Mich., Dec. 28--Joe Louis Arena seats about 21,000 fans, but one was hard pressed to find any Harvard enthusiasts at the Great Lakes Invitational here this weekend.

While the three host schools came with full compliments of supporters and bands, more Harvardians could be found on the ice than in the stands.

"I think there are a couple other fans here, but not too many," Dave Hands '74 said. "Most of the people who are here have some connection with the hockey program."

Hands certainly does.

He helped anchor the Crimson defense in the early 1970s. His four years of hockey memories include celebrating Harvard's first and only Great Lakes Invitational win in 1972 when the Crimson defeated Michigan Tech in the finals.

"It was a very special experience for me," Hands said, who was raised and still lives in the Detroit area. "At the time Michigan Tech was really good, and it was their tournament. We were really on our own."

While Hands enjoyed his GLI memories, he said he wouldn't switch places with the players on the ice.

"All the players are bigger and faster than they were when I played," Hands said. "I'm glad I'm sitting here in the stands."

Jerry Pawloski Sr. certainly had a reason to root for Harvard. His son Jerry Pawloski Jr. '88 is an assistant coach for the men's hockey team.

Accompanied by several friends of his, the elder Pawloski said he was not afraid to voice his support for the Crimson, even in enemy territory.

"I've been to hockey games here since it opened," Pawloski said. "It doesn't bother me to cheer for Harvard with all the Michigan fans that are here. Had I not been here before, it might have been different."

Western Bands

The Michigan teams, needless to say, had scores of supporters. While certainly loud in their applause, none of the fans--save the few Michigan Tech devotees who chanted "sieve"--had any obnoxious or even inspiring cheers.

The lack of fan innovation might have had something to do with the bands. Michigan brought only a high-school band (the real band was at the Rose Bowl). And Michigan Tech's gaudy black and yellow costumes were offensive already.

Brad Poreda, a senior at Michigan State and a Boston native, said his band operates by a different philosophy than Ivy League bands.

"We try to psyche the fans up by playing well, so that psyches the players up," Poreda said.