MOTOR CITY BLUES

The Harvard Hockey Team Traveled to the Great Lakes Invitational over Winter Break To Earn the Respect of Its Western Rivals. But All It Got Was the . . .

By Ted G. Rose and Jay K. Varma

DETROIT, Mich.--The Harvard men's hockey team didn't teach its western hockey rivals any lessons this weekend, but it certainly learned a few of its own.

After dropping 3-1 decisions to Michigan and Michigan State at the Great Lakes Invitational, the Crimson (6-3-2 overall, 6-1-1 ECAC) learned, quite dramatically, that the offensive difficulties it foresaw at the outset of the season are for real.

In the consolation game against Michigan State, Harvard jumped out to a 1-0 lead, when freshman Steve Martins punched in a pass from fellow freshman Ben Coughing 2:59 into the first frame.

Of course, that goal came with a 5-3 Crimson advantage. Harvard didn't get any more of those for the rest of the game--two-man advantages or goals.

Michigan State, on the other hand, awoke from its first-period lethargy behind strong efforts from forwards Dwayne Norris (two goals) and Steve Suk (three assists).

"Our defense was playing the way you want it to," goalie Allain Roy said. "Offesively, it's a matter of being more aggressive around the net. And we're just not getting the bounces."

Harvard did have its chances. Aggressive forechecking and skating helped the Crimson outshoot State 10-5 in the first period. But, after that, things fell apart.

The team's difficulties against State stemmed, Harvard Coach Ronn Tomassoni said, largely from its failure to maintain intensity and build momentum. Tomassoni said--as he has ad infinitum--that the Crimson failed to play "60 minutes of solid hockey" both nights in the Motor City.

Sure enough, consistency was the problem against the Michigan Wolverines on Friday. Michigan got on the board quickly when sophomore David Oliver pushed the puck past a slew of Crimson defenders with only 18 seconds elapsed in the first period.

The Wolverines took the early lead and never looked back, scoring once more in the first frame and again in the second to take a commanding 3-0 lead over Harvard.

It was only in the final session that Harvard finally came alive. The Crimson's first and only tally came with 2:48 elapsed in that period when freshman forward Brad Konik slipped the puck past Wolverine netminder Steve Shields on a power play.

"We definitely had to hang on in the third period," Michigan Coach Red Berenson conceded.

"One period of hockey doesn't make a solid game," Harvard goalie Chuckie Hughes said after the Michigan loss. "For two periods we played with our heads between our legs."

"These games showed us that it takes a 60-minute effort to win," junior Steve Flomenhoft said. "Our big downfall has been not showing up for every period."

So what went wrong? Harvard's explanation--that consistency wins games--implies that the Crimson has the talent and skill to win against any opponent. That's a troubling assumption.

There's definitely more to the two losses in Detroit than lack of consistancy.

Part of the problem, of course, was the 20-day layoff. Harvard's last game priot to the Detroit trip was a December 7 tie (2-2) against Cornell. That certainly threw Harvard out of synch, which would explain Harvard's somewhat sluggish skating and somber power play performance (2-for-12 in both games).

"We tried to simulate a game against the alumni [over break], but it just wasn't the same," Tomassoni said.

And the absence of Captain Kevin Sneddon (back injury) and sophomore Brian Farrell (deep thigh bruise) left the Crimson without two of its most talented players.

Harvard's youth, however, may have been the key to the disappointing weekend.

Western teams play a much more physical game, similar to pro hockey, with a tendency to clutch and hold more frequently.

Harvard often forsook its quick, finesse game against its bigger opponents. The result? Less offense and more penalties--not a productive combination.

"We were not used to the western style," Flomenhoft said. "There are things you can do to get away from that, but it's tough to get used to for the first time."

"We took some stupid penalties. We showed our immaturity," Tomassoni said.

Harvard's weekend in Detroit wasn't a complete bust, though.

The Crimson's penalty-killing unit shined all weekend long. Harvard killed 12 straight penalties against Michigan and Michigan State, raising its efficiency to 84 percent.

The experience the Crimson picked up will certainly help it as the team gears up for the meat of its ECAC schedule.

Moreover, Harvard showed that it can compete among top teams in the nation (Michigan entered the tournament as fifth in the nation, Michigan State ninth.)

And the Crimson did get a trip to Detroit. What more could a hockey team ask for?