Octoberfest Takes Germany to Square

Annual Festival Brings 10,000 to Sample Food, Beer, Music, Shopping

By Amanda C. Rawls, Contributing Reporter

Germany returned to Harvard Square on Sunday with the annual Octoberfest festival. Ethnic food, vintage clothing, handmade jewelry and other miscellaneous necessities over drew a crowd of more than 10,000, according to festival organizers.

One hundred and eight vendors participated in the event, and about a fourth of those were businesses and restaurants located in the Square. Many of the vendors boasted wares "authentic" to their ancestral heritage, such as African trade beads, Guatemalan hand bags and Australian Aboriginal art. Food--ranging from Indian vegetables to fried dough--was also in plentiful supply.

Despite such American influences as kiddie rides and lemonade, the event maintained a distinctly German character. Throughout the day, the crowd was entertained by the tunes of the Hofbrau Boys Bavarian Band and the steps of the Edelweiss Tyrolian Dancers.

Octoberfest is organized primarily by the Harvard Square Business Association, said executive director Sally Alcorn. Alcorn, who has run Octoberfest for the past ten years, said this year's festival was sponsored by O'Doul's non-alcoholic beer and the Phoenix media group, including Boston's WFNX radio.

'Pretty Sweet'

Octoberfest was a new experience to many first year Harvard students. Farah Stockman '96 of East Lansing, Mich., said, "It's like a gigantic carnival with German dancing. It's pretty sweet."

But her companion, Ethan Nasr '96, was more critical. Nasr, who is from Cambridge, is a veteran of several Octoberfest. "It's not up to par with previous years, probably because of the weather. But it beats Lamont," he said.

Sunday's weather was overcast and seasonably cool.

The festival's appeal stretched beyond Cambridge. Desmond McAuley, 34, is an architect from Wayland who used to work in the Square. He and his dog, Reuben, came to town for the day. "It was just something to do," McAuley said, "That, and it was Reuben's public debut."

Jo-Ann Merla, a realtor from New York, made the four-hour trip to Cambridge just for the event. "I do my Christmas shopping [at Octoberfest]," she said.

Merla and her three fellow travelers agreed that the friendliness and culture of Boston and Cambridge were worth the trip. "I love the ambiance and the college atmosphere," said Merla. "It has shown me how much I should have gone away to school."

The Cars! The Cars!

Five-year-old Elias Bennet of Cambridge and his three year old brother Arthur appeared to enjoy the event, especially the rides. "We drove the cars!" said Elias Bennet.

But the attraction of Octoberfest was summed up by Cambridge Rindge and Latin School student Miguel Blackmer, 15. "Well, everyone's here," he said.