Students Elect New Council Oust 13 Veterans

Most Chair Candidates Win

By Rodolfo J. Fernandez, Crimson Staff Writer

Thirteen incumbents, including two former officers, were upset in last week's Undergraduate Council elections. But most of the contenders for top council positions received strong mandates from their electorates.

Outgoing Chair David A. Aronberg '93 of Currier House and chair candidates David L. Duncan '93 of Winthrop House and Malcolm A. Heinicke '93 of Eliot House easily won the most votes in their respective houses.

J.D. LaRock '95, who had been pursuing an aggressive campaign for chair, failed to win a seat at Quincy House. Last spring's Secretary Peter K. Lee '94 of Kirkland House was also unseated.

Mark D. McKay '94 of Kirkland House, who has announced a bid for chair despite quitting the council last winter, captured his house's fourth seat.

Michael P. Beys '94, the outgoing treasurer and chief organizer of the spring De La Soul concert which lost over $10,000, secured a comfortable second-place finish in Mather House behind roommate Sean M. Becker '94.

Beys, who has not yet announced his intentions, is expected to run for vice chair.

After a week of door-to-door campaigning, hand shaking, and finger pointing by prospective members, 57 newcomers will joining the 88-member council. Twenty-one of the new delegates are first-years.

Results of last week's elections were released on Saturday night.

Incumbent Vladimir V. Ragulin '94 ended on the losing side of a pitched battle at Adams House.

Ragulin and fellow Adams House incumbent Gian G. Neffinger '93 traded blows throughout the week in a campaign that many house residents described as "nasty". The negative campaigning culminated with a Neffinger poster declaring, "Hey Vlad--Suck Me."

Quincy House was the site of a furious 10-way race for six seats.

Though LaRock, a chief critic of last year's council, lost, winning was not too difficult for other incumbents.

Steven N. Kalkanis '93, a chair candidate last fall, received the most votes in Quincy House for the third year in a row, despite the wide field of candidates competing there.

"One of the things that has helped me out, is that I have always kept in close contact with the house," said Kalkanis. "People remember that."

Gil B. Lahav '94, one of two newcomers elected at Quincy, provided one of the election's biggest surprises.

"I transferred form Columbia over the summer, and I thought [joining the council] would be one of the best ways to expose myself to the issues whichHarvard is facing," said Lahav.

Lahav, who finished fourth in the Quincy race,credited his victory to his "underdog" status.

"I tried to emphasize to people that although Iwas new to the school, I was really enthusiasticand wanted to help out," said Lahav.

Without skipping a beat, the chair candidateswere already lobbying for votes among newlyelected council members last weekend.

In a move unprecedented in recent years,Aronberg yesterday endorsed Heinicke, who servedunder him last year as vice chair.

"In an age of pandering politicians and slickwillies, the U.C. is fortunate to have a candidatelike Malcolm," said Aronberg. "He stands firm inhis convictions and has the courage to address thespecific problems facing the council."

Council members will elect the chair at theirfirst meeting on Sunday. Chair candidates willface off in a debate sponsored by The Crimsonlater this week