18% Opt to Keep Council Fee

Percentage of Students Withholds Part of Term Bill Charge

By Nara K. Ahn, Contributing Reporter

Approximately 18 percent of students this fall withheld part of their Undergraduate Council term bill charge, according to the Student Billing Office.

Council member Adam J. Hertzman '95 pointed to the weak economy as a possible cause for students' withholding the money.

"I can understand why some students would want to have their refund in a year when the economy is hurting a lot of students, and the recession has cut back a lot of student loans and other forms of financial aid," he said.

Roughly 71 percent of council funds are allocated to undergraduate organizations each year. Students may withhold $16.67 of a $20 fee each semester by checking a box on their term bills.

Students may petition for the remaining $3.33 from the Office of the Dean of Students, which has not tabulated the number of refunds.

Council Chair David A. Aronberg '93 said the number of refunds, which has not changed much in recent years, financially handicaps campus groups.

"Student organizations get hurt the most," said Aronberg.

"When students withhold their U.C. fee, they're hurting their own organizations. Many organizations depend on the U.C. as their only source of funding."

Susan S. Lee '96, representative for the Southeast Yard, said she was concerned that students did not pay the fee because they did not know the council's role in allocating funds on campus.

"In order to make an informed decision about withholding this fee from the term bill, they should have information about what the fee is used for," Lee said.