Green Foam Rolls Into City

`Dyewitness' Offers Students an Alternative to Mace

By Jessica C. Schell, Contributing Reporter

A new hand-held security device, which will be offered at the Harvard Coop beginning Monday, makes a would-be attacker look like a Chia pet, according to the product's Boston distributor.

When sprayed at an attacker, "Dyewitness" delivers a blast of foaming green dye with 70 pounds of force, promoters say. Sprayed directly in the eyes, it will blind the attacker for four seconds, giving the victim a chance to escape.

The dark green stain remains on the skin for up to seven days, making the attacker easy for police to identify, said the distributor, Ellia Y. Kassoff, who hopes Boston-area college students will snap up the new product.

Unlike mace, Dyewitness is not classified as a dangerous weapon and therefore does not fall under a state law forbidding the possession of dangerous weapons on the grounds of educational institutions, Kassoff said.

"Previously there was nothing for kids to carry legally on campus to protect themselves," he said.

Frank T. Pasquarello, public information officer for the Cambridge police, said that while Dyewitness will make it easier for police to identify the criminal, it does not appear to be as useful for stopping the attacker.

"Mace will incapacitate the attacker; this product blinds them for 4 seconds. That's not very much time. Personally, I'd rather have a can of mace," Pasquarello said.

Kassoff will be at the Coop next Monday and Thursday at 10 a.m. to answer questions about the security device.