Marshall Named As Counsel

Boston Lawyer Appointed to Top University Legal Post

By Ira E. Stoll, Crimson Staff Writer

Margaret Hilary Marshall, a prominent Boston lawyer and former anti-apartheid student activist, was yesterday named vice president and general counsel of Harvard University.

Marshall, 48, is currently a senior partner in the law firm of Choate, Hall & Stewart. She recently finished a term as president of the Boston Bar Association.

President Neil L. Rudenstine announced the appointment yesterday. "She is not only a preeminent legal practitioner, but an energetic leader of her profession and a person of extraordinary human qualities," Rudenstine said in a statement. "All of us will be enriched by her presence and advice, and we look forward with great enthusiasm to having her here."

The general counsel supervises an office of nearly a dozen University attorneys as well as oversees the police and security departments.

In an interview yesterday, Marshall said she is "excited by the prospect of serving Harvard." She said her new job will in some ways be a return to her beginnings.

"Harvard was the first home that I had when I came to the U.S. as an immigrant in 1968," Marshall said.

In 1968, the young Marshall moved into studenthousing and hit the books at the Graduate Schoolof Education, where she earned a master's degree.

Her move into the Mass. Hall headquarters ofHarvard's central administration will attract agood deal more notice. The University, serving asa very close advisor to the president.

It is in this advisory capacity that Marshallsays she hopes to follow in the footsteps ofDaniel Steiner '54, who served as general counselfrom 1971 until June of this year.

"I hope to do what did so well, which is togive advice well," Marshall said.

Marshall said that although she follows Harvardevents casually through the press, she is not yetinformed enough to comment on any pressing mattersfacing the general counsel's office. She isexpected to take office in November.

Still, Marshall's ties to Harvard are fairlysubstantial. She studied at the Education Schooland the Law School. Faculty members campuswidecall her a friend. She is married to New YorkTimes columnist and former Crimson executive J.Anthony Lewis '48 And for more than 10 years, shehas assisted with Harvard Law School's TrialAdvocacy Workshop.

For Marshall, a Cambridge resident, Harvard"feels like a close and friendly neighbor," shesaid.

Marshall said she is looking forward to workingwith undergraduates. She said she has friend,nephews and nieces at the College.

Born in Newcastle, Natal, in South Africa,Marshall served from 1966 to 1968 as president ofthe National Union of South African Students. Aspresident of the 20,000 member leftwinganti-apartheid group, she met with prominent SouthAfrican and American leaders.

Marshall said yesterday she saw no irony in thefact that she is replacing Steiner, who often hadthe job of dealing with protesters who were urgingHarvard to divest its stocks in companies doingwith South Africa.

She graduated from Witwatersrand University inJohannesburg in 1966, and earned her J.D. fromYale Law School in 1976.

As president of the 8400 member Boston BarAssociation, she emphasized public serviceprojects, racial and ethnic diversity, and calledfor the legal profession to be friendly to womenattorneys with families. Marshall has nochildren.

Only the second woman president of the BostonBar Association, Marshall is also the second womanto serve as a Harvard vice president. Bostonmagazine called her a "statuesque blond businesslitigator," in a breathless profile that appearedin its April 1992 issue.

Marshall is also active on many state legalboards and advisory panels.

Those interviewed yesterday reacted favorablyto the news of Marshall's appointment.

Said Steiner, who was not involved in theselection process, "She's a great person. She is ahighly competent lawyer and very humaneindividual...a person who has a goodunderstanding, I think, of universities and whowill be sensitive to the special problems thatuniversities and their constituencies face."

"It's a first-rate appointment," Steiner said.

Pound Professor of Law James Vorenberg '49, aformer dean of the Law School, said Marshall is"one of the most respected lawyers in the city."

Vorenberg said Marshall combines very broadlegal interests with special concern for Harvard.

"She cares a lot about universities in generaland Harvard in particular," said Vorenberg, along-time friend of Marshall.

Assistant Professor of Law Charles J. Ogletreedescribed Marshall yesterday as "an excellentlawyer, a terrific mediator and negotiator."

Marshall, Ogletree said, boasts "a wide net ofardent supporters."

"Her greatest strength is that she is friendlywith faculty and administrators across theUniversity," Ogletree said.

Vice President for Government, Community andPublic Affairs John H. Shattuck said, "I think shewill be a strong addition to the group of peoplewho are working closely with the president."

And Fairchild Professor of Law Andrew L.Kaufman '51 said, "she brings good lawyeringexperience and good public service experience tothe job."

Bussey Professor of Law Frank E. A. Sander '48said Marshall may have been tempted to leave herpartner's spot at Choate, Hall & Stewart becauseof the interesting and board legal intellectualchallenges of the Harvard general counsel's job.He said Marshall has expertise in alternativemethods of dispute resolution, and called her, "adistinguished lawyer with wide-ranging experienceand excellent judgement."

Frank J. Connors, acting general counsel, saidhe is looking forward to working with Marshall. Hehailed her as "a great addition to theUniversity." Connors will resume his post asUniversity attorney in November.

Gady A. Epstein contributed to the reportingof this story.