Biographer Slams Kissinger

Isaacson Says Diplomat Mislead Superiors, and Public

By John Tessitore, Contributing Reporter

As the driving force behind U.S. foreign policy during the 1970s, Henry A. Kissinger '50 mislead the American public and his superiors in government, the author of his best-selling biography said last night.

"In our day and age, celebrity exists independently of morality," said Walter S. Isaacson '74, the author of Kissinger: A Biography, currently on the New York Times bestseller list.

Before a crowd of 100 at the Barone Center, Isaacson delivered a wide-ranging lecture on Kissinger's secretive dealings and manipulation of the national press to further his policy goals.

"Henry Kissinger wanted to talk," said Isaacson, who is also assistant managing editor of Time magazine. "He was very good at talking to reporters. He could play [a reporter] like a violin."

Isaacson also spoke about Kissinger's fascination with the military and his involvement in the escalation of the Vietnam war.

"Kissinger believed that you will never win in politics what you cannot win on the battlefield," he said.

Isaacson said Kissinger believed that "nations have interests not ideals

Isaacson's criticism of the former national security advisor and secretary of state centered on charges of secret dealings between Kissinger and the governments of foreign nations.

He described how Kissinger would implement foreign policy initiatives bypassing the State Department.

Isaacson accused Kissinger of lying to U.S. Air Force commanders before bombing missions in Cambodia so that the American public would not learn of his plans and protest the ensuing violence.

Isaacson called Kissinger "one of the first realists" in American politics, saying he insisted on secrecy because he understood the importance of public opinion.

"In a democracy, policies depend on the support of the American people," Issacson said.

Isaacson's talk was punctuated by interjections from several scholars and journalists. The ad hoc panel included Walburg Professor of Economics emeritus John Kenneth Galbraith, Edward R. Murrow, Professor of Press, Politics and Public Policy Marvin L. Kalb, and New York Times columnist J. Anthony Lewis '48.

Kalb took on Kissinger's defense in the ensuing discussion while Lewis strongly attacked Kissinger.

Questions from the audience dealt with Kissinger's involvement in the Vietnam war, the bombing of Cambodia during the early 1970's and the Watergate break-ins.

Throughout, Isaacson continued to stress Kissinger's cloak-and-dagger brand of politics.