Shattuck Endorses Clinton

Debates on NPR

By Ira E. Stoll, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard Vice President for Government, Community and Public Affairs John H. Shattuck praised Bill Clinton's education proposals yesterday on National Public Radio.

Shattuck also yesterday became the second top Harvard administrator to say that he personally preferred the Arkansas Governor in the national presidential race. Last week, Provost Jerry R. Green said he favors Clinton and has endorsed his economic plan.

President Neil L. Rudenstine has not endorsed a candidate.

In an interview yesterday, Shattuck emphasized that he participated in the NPR debate with Secretary of Education Lamar Alexander "in an entirely private capacity." He said he was not representing the University.

Shattuck said the debate, on NPR's "Talk of the Nation" program, fo- cused primarily on the candidates' agenda forAmerican education.

"I think it was a very good discussion of theissues," he said.

Shattuck said he has offered advice to theClinton campaign on its programs for highereducation. He cited specifically Clinton'sfinancial aid proposal and the Democrat's plan forcollege loans to be repaid either as a percentageof income or with public service.

"Personally, I do think that a Clintonadministration would be a good thing for privatehigher education and for higher education ingeneral," Shattuck said.

Shattuck's links to Clinton are not just aproduct of the election year frenzy.

In fact, Shattuck said, the relationship datesback some 25 years, to when the two were bothstudying in England. Shattuck, a Mellon Scholar atCambridge University, and Clinton, a RhodesScholar at Oxford University, had common friendsand worked together on Eugene McCarthy's campaignin 1968.

Shattuck said his support for the Democraticnominee should not be interpreted as a push for ajob in a Clinton administration