Eliot House Rethinks Paper Cup Removal

By Rajath Shourie, Crimson Staff Writer

Surprised by the swell of popular opinion against its decision to remove paper cups from the dining hall, Eliot House Dining Services ended a day-long controversy yesterday by reinstating the cups.

Students "kind of went beserk" last weekend when the house removed the paper cups to decrease the amount of waste, said Eliot resident Jeffrey B. Golden '93.

Now the rebels say they see their victory as a case of "power to the people" defeating the environmentally-conscious "spotted-owl club."

"I totally care about environment, but there should be choice, and a lot of the people in the house felt the same way," said Golden, who organized the revolt.

Corrine Terrell, Eliot's head waitress, said the initial decision was intended to reduce the amount of waste generated by the dining hall. She said the glasses and the John Harvard mugs given to students at the beginning of the semester would be more "environmentally friendly" than the paper cups.

But some Eliot residents didn't see it that way.

In an interview that ironically took place at a recycling table in the dining hall, Golden said he and others were "incensed" Monday night upon learning of the removal of the cups.

Golden said he then talked to about 70 people, encouraging them to write in and express their disapproval of the action.

Golden said he and other students "felt a little railroaded" because they were not consulted about the decision.

"It should be up to us whether we want to be environmentally conscious or not," he said.

About 30-40 Eliot residents filled out the yellow feedback cards in the dining hall, Golden said.

And when there were no more feedback cards left, students stuffed napkins into the feedback box marked with messages like "You can run, but you can't hide."

Eliot Dining Services was quick to react to the students' opinion, as the paper cups reappeared with last night's dinner.

But some Eliot residents still aren't happy,saying the Dining Services have misunderstood theproblem.

"It isn't that people love paper cups," saidJordan S. Ellenberg '93. "Basically the problem isthat the little juice glasses [currently provided]are too small."

Ellenberg said the dining services shouldprovide large plastic cups, as is now done in theUnion