FAS Budget Gap Falls 36 Percent Below Estimates

New Projection Puts Deficit at $7.5 M

By Joanna M. Weiss, Crimson Staff Writer

Last year's Faculty of Arts and Sciences budget deficit was nearly 36 percent less than expected, Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles announced at a meeting of the full Faculty yesterday.

Knowles said the 1991-92 deficit--which he had originally projected at $11.7 million--was finally calculated at $7.5 million.

He urged faculty members to continue to monitor their spending carefully in order to decrease the deficit further.

President Neil L. Rudenstine echoed Knowles' warning, and commended faculty members for their cooperation.

"It really does represent a lot of progress," Rudenstine said. "At least it's come with a good will, and that was our hope last year."

"There's still a good way to go," Rudenstine told The Crimson after the meeting.

Rudenstine said he hopes faculty members willcontinue to cooperate with budget cuts "withoutlosing some positive momentum and without creatingthe kind of situation on campus where people feelin a constant state of anxiety and concern."

Smiling at a roomful of professors in theUniversity Hall meeting room, the dean displayed abar graph that denoted past years' budget deficitson a sheet of letter-sized paper.

Knowles joked about the graph's small size,made a face and pointed to the bright yellow bars.

The first few bars showed a deficit of $2 to $3million. They shot up in the 1989-90 academicyear, when the Faculty's budget deficit was $11.7million. In 1990-91, the deficit decreased to $9.8million.

The dean said his letter outlining the currentbudget situation--a follow-up to last January's13-page tome--will not be ready until next month