Gov. Weld Encourages Handicapped Workers

By Tara H. Arden-smith, Contributing Reporter

Gov. William F. Weld '66 yesterday fulfilled a year-old promise to visit the Cambridge workplace of handicapped workers his administration almost displaced last year.

The government-funded Ferguson Industries for the Blind will be fully privatized by July 1, 1993. Yesterday, Weld met each employee individually and promised to continue to support the program, even after its privatization.

Ferguson Industries' Cambridge facility is one of three in Massachusetts. The company provides employment opportunities for multihandicapped people.

Employees were excited about meeting the governor and said they were pleased with his display of concern for their welfare.

In a state budget proposed by Weld two years ago, government funding for Ferguson was to be cut off. When employees questioned the governor on a radio show, he agreed to visit their workplace.

He later endorsed their plan to privatize the organization in order to preserve its unique employment opportunities for the handicapped.

Carol A. Sullivan, director of industries for the Massachusetts Commission for the Blind, said Weld's visit helped calm workers' fears about the future of the agency and the potential loss of jobs and retirement benefits.

"The tour of our facilities went wonderfully, and it gave our workers just the lift that they needed," Sullivan said. "They all had questions, and some of them were answered today, just by Gov. Weld showing his support for the people here."

Sullivan led Weld on an afternoon tour of the workrooms, introducing him personally to each of the 47 employees and staff members, and showing him how their products are made.

"I'm thrilled to be here, and am glad to have supported and endorsed the plan to privatize this workplace," Weld said to the employees. "I plan to make absolutely sure that the move towards privatization succeeds."

"You, as the workers, will start to see the benefits of independence as your overhead costs decrease and your flexibility increases as you begin to serve the private sector," he said.

Workers demonstrated the production of face cloths, baby-bibs, and--at what Sullivan called "the crowning point" of the tour--brooms. One employee offered to let Weld help him bind the corn stalks of a broom.

"I can tell you can do that a lot quicker and a lot better than I can," Weld told the worker. "I couldn't do what you do, no matter how much training I had."