Epps Says Houses Aid Race Relations

By Anna D. Wilde, Crimson Staff Writer

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III spoke on ethnic diversity at Harvard and his role as the College's new race relations coordinator at a Quincy House meeting of the Asian American Association yesterday.

Epps first delivered a brief speech on the importance and history of Harvard's racial and cultural diversity, saying house life should be an integrating force.

"I believe our capacity for integration rests in [former President A. Lawrence] Lowell's vision of the social life of the Houses," he said, reading from a prepared text.

After a 15-minute address, Epps fielded questions from students for the remaining 45 minutes.

Responding to a question about his role as race relations coordinator, the dean said he has three goals as the College's foremost voice on intercultural relations.

The first is "for as many people as possible to develop a more sophisticated understanding of race," he said. He also wants to see various communities "learn to work together more easily" and to create "an agenda for year to decide what to work on."

Epps said he thinks the College is making progress in solving the problems that led to last year's tensions. He cited the race relations retreat earlier this year and closer cooperation between the Harvard Foundation and the Office of Race Relations and Minority Affairs.

"My first task, and principal task, is to try to help the College have conversations about race, in a number of different situations," he said.

In answer to a question about perceived racial concentrations in some of the houses, Epps said he "does not know whether we have clustering" by ethnicity.

"I have the feeling there has been more of a clustering," he said, but his "hope has always been the tables would be open to anyone who wants to sit there."

Another student asked how the College plans to address all aspects of race relations, not just focus on certain groups or tensions.

"I don't leave anybody out," said Epps, appealing to all students to share their concerns and questions with him personally.

On the issue of the dearth of Asian-Americanfaculty members, Epps said he wants to be part ofa "working group" to discuss the issue. Studentsalso expressed concern over the lack of AsianAmericans in Harvard's administration.

AAA Co-President Connie I. Chang '93 said Eppswas invited to speak because "there are still alot of questions about what his role is" as racerelations coordinator.

She is concerned, she said, that "there's alack of understanding of what Asian-Americannessis at this University. With that lack ofunderstanding comes a lack of response to thingslike the anti-Asian slurs that appeared lastspring."