Mather Tutors, Students Await Master Selection

Voice Frustration at Slow Search

By Marion B. Gammill, Crimson Staff Writer

Students and tutors at Mather House expressed frustration yesterday at the slow progress of the search for new Mather masters.

Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 confirmed that the search has taken longer than was originally expected.

"We thought we would have someone last spring," said Jewett. "There have been people who would have been very good...who were not able to accept."

Jewett was unable to give a specific prediction for when a new Master would be chosen. But he said the search is currently one of his top priorities.

Several candidates are under consideration, he said, and he hopes some will be presented to the house in the next few weeks. "We've done the best we can. This is not a process where you can post an ad," he said.

However, several Mather tutors said they believes the administration has handled the search poorly. Leonid M. Fridman '85, a resident tutor of mathematics, said he thinks the administration has not been as effective as it could be.

"I think the administration is dragging its feet. I and many of us here would like to see a very serious search process going on," said Fridman.

Some tutors said Deborah Hughes-Hallett, head preceptor in mathematics, had been mentioned as a possible candidate by the house. However, sources said she had not been officially offered the job.

"I talked to her last spring. The house was very interested in her--she expressed some interest. I think she'd be fantastic," said Roland L. Dunbrack '85, resident tutor of philosophy.

Although two candidates were presented to the house last spring, Dunbrack said, he believed much of the search process had been left up to house members.

"It seemed to be up to students here to walk up to tenured professors and ask them to consider it," he said.

"I'm disappointed the administration didn't take it more seriously."

Several tutors said they had in fact askedprofessors to consider the position and had beenturned down.

Jewett is on the official selection committee,which is headed by President Neil L. Rudenstine.Other members include Dean of the Faculty of Artsand Sciences Jeremy R. Knowles, Dean ofUndergraduate Education Lawrence Buell andRadcliffe President Linda S. Wilson.

An in-house search committee of students andtutors, working with Jewett, was created lastspring. Mather House Committee chair Michelle M.Shih '93 said the committee has not yet met thisyear.

"We haven't heard anything. As far as we know,there's no short list," said Shih, who is not onthe formal selection committee.

The current masters, Jeffrey A. and NancyWilliamson, originally announced that they wouldleave last spring. However, they agreed to stay onfor another semester when asked by theadministration.

"Both Nancy and I are quite anxious to move onand develop other parts of our life after six andone-half years," said Jeffrey Williamson, who isBell professor of economics. "It's awkward for usto stay on--I hope they get someone in to do agood job."

Williamson said that he thinks the problems ofthe search stem from more than just bad luck. "Oneexplanation is the new cast of characters incritical positions--the president, the dean [ofFAS]," he said. "I think there was someuncertainty over how to proceed with the search."

However, Williamson said that a list ofprospects was compiled during the summer, and theadministration has been going through itcarefully. He said he believes that five or sixcandidates who have expressed interest are nowbeing considered for the post.

Resident philosophy tutor Steven A. Gross '87 welcomed the news that "things are moving."

"I think that a lot of students feel uncertainabout the situation," he said. "But since none ofus have much information, it's difficult to assignblame."