Heroes Prof. Surprised By 50th Birthday Party

By Quentin A. Palfrey, Contributing Reporter

The ever-popular Gregory Nagy, Jones professor of classical Greek literature, received a 50th birthday celebration fit for a hero yesterday from 600 of his favorite undergrads.

The surprise event occurred as Nagy took the Sanders Theatre stage for his core course, Literature and the Arts C-14, "The Concept of the Hero in Greek Civilization."

As Nagy walked on the stage with pop star Madonna's "Like a Prayer" playing over the speakers and the words "Our Hero" on the screen, students burst in a round of applause.

The Beatles' song "Birthday" then replaced the controversial pop diva as baby pictures of Nagy appeared on the screen.

The professor blushed and said, "So this is the way people betray your deepest, darkest secrets."

"I'm very surprised and touched," he said, "as long as you promise not to tell anyone I looked like that."

But no birthday celebration would be complete without a cake.

Two teaching fellows, dressed as ninjas, saluted Nagy with swords and proceeded to beat an egg-shaped cake to a pulp. Students said the ninjas referred to "Sword of Doom," a movie shown for the class, and the egg referred to a lecture given earlier in the term.

Teaching fellows eventually presented another cake to the professor, and the students applauded as Nagy blew out the candles.

"I thought it was sweet because he got so choked up about it," said Erin L. Scott '96.

Although the screen announced that Nagy was "30 years old," the professor told The Crimson last night that yesterday did in fact mark his silver birthday. "It's the grim truth," Nagy said. "I've reached the half century mark. I think my wife was behind the celebration, because I don't know how else they would have gotten those pictures."

Jonathan Samuels contributed to the reporting of this article.