Widener Ralliers Support Clinton

By Nan Zheng, Contributing Reporter

More than 350 students, local residents, faculty and prospective members of Bill Clinton's cabinet rallied yesterday in support of the Arkansas governor in front of Widener Library.

Amidst posters declaring "Vote for Chance" and "Defend Choice, Defeat Bush," speakers at the rally focused on social issues including abortion and education as well as the deficiencies of President Bush's economic policy.

Robert B. Reich, lecturer in public policy at the Kennedy School of Government and the principal architect of Clinton's economic plan, said the governor would make a difference inthe lives of college students by proposing publicservice initiatives.

"The country has in so many ways lost its senseof public service," said Reich, who is rumored tobe a candidate for budget director or Secretary ofthe Treasury in a Clinton administration. "ButClinton can bring that back."

State Attorney General Scott L. Harshbargercriticized Bush's failure to deliver on hispromises, including his pledge to be the"Education President."

"Bush has taken systematic steps to erode theeducation system, especially in urban areas," saidHarshbarger. "We have [the first] chance in morethan a decade to have a campaign that will focuson priorities and values that matter to all ofus."

Other speakers discussed the symbolicimportance of a potential Clinton victory ratherthan specific policies.

State Sen. Patricia McGovern said Clintonrepresented generational change just as John F.Kennedy '40 did in the 1960 election.

"Thirty years ago, John F. Kennedy called for anew generation," McGovern said. "Today, we arecalling for a new generation, and a week fromTuesday, we are going to get a new generation. Thetorch is being passed on."

State Senate candidate Dianne Wilkerson, whosupports abortion rights, said that she stronglysupported Clinton's stand on abortion.

"We have to take back our bodies and take backthe White House," Wilkerson said.

Many students attending the rally said theywere voting for Clinton because of his positionson social issues.

Irene M. Reed '96 was critical of Bush's standon abortion. "I have to be able to choose, andBush is questioning our ability to reason," Reedsaid.

David M. Gross, a third-year law student, saidhe hoped Clinton would be an advocate of gay andlesbian rights in the Oval Office.

"I'm voting for Clinton in the hope that hewill address the AIDS crisis and pass gay andlesbian rights," Gross said. "This election marksthe emergence of gays and lesbians as a criticalpart of the Democratic party and we expect him topush our agenda."

The noontime rally, which lasted about an hour,was organized by the Harvard-Radcliffe Democrats,Harvard-Radcliffe for Clinton-Gore, Harvard LawSchool Democrats and Harvard-Radcliffe Studentsfor Choice.

Andrew J. McLaughlin '94, head of the HarvardLaw School Democrats and the National Law Studentsfor Clinton-Gore, said the rally demonstrated thestrong support for the ticket of baby boomersamong Harvard students and young people ingeneral.

"We wanted to show Harvard's support forClinton and Gore and we also wanted to show youngpeople in general's support," McLaughlin said.

And David C. Bunker '93, president of theHarvard-Radcliffe Democrats, said that he hopedthe rally would encourage students to vote andvolunteer for Clinton