300 Students 'Serve' Boston

HAND, Others From Harvard Join in Annual City Servathon

By Sarah E. Scrogin, Contributing Reporter

Harvard students raked yards, tiled floors and washed windows Saturday as part of a day of city-wide service intended to strengthen the Hub's community spirit.

Approximately 300 Harvard College students joined people from around greater Boston for the Annual City Year Servathon, said Lisa E. Schorr '92, who coordinated Harvard's participation in the event.

Schorr, a two year City Year team captain, said the Servathon, an event in which volunteers collect sponsors for their donated time, helps to fund the charitable organization's operation throughout the year.

"City Year itself is an urban peace corps of 220 young people who commit themselves to a year of community service," Schorr said.

Schorr said the purpose of the Servathon was to strengthen community ties and to accomplish a variety of service tasks.

"One of the things City Year is trying to do is to make Boston a community--not a bunch of little communities but one single community," Schorr said.

Schorr said volunteers yesterday contributed approximately 60,000 hours of labor and raised an estimated $700,000 in pledges.

Schorr said 15 Harvard team captains coordinated students in the volunteer effort.

Quentin E. McMullen '93, a team captain for North House, organized 24 North House residents as a House and Neighborhood Development (HAND) One Shot activity.

"We [HAND] did it last year and had a great time so we decided to do it again," McMullen said.

McMullen said his group served in a home for the mentally retarded where they washed windows, raked, painted and laid down tiles for appreciative residents.

Lisa S. Primus '94 who coordinated a six person team from Adams House, praised the Servathon for providing contact with area residents though she said that physically, the labor required was minimal.

"People were really happy, at least as much for the company and attention as for the work people did," Primus said.

Gerald M. Saenz '93 of Winthrop House said he organized a team of 10 students who traveled to Dorchester where they helped clean the homes and yards of area elderly.

"The most positive experience was with a couple of Spanish speaking people who had either recently moved to the U.S. or had no families here," Saenz said, "Our group's liaison and I spoke Spanish, and they really appreciated that someone came and could speak with them."