Council Decides Not to Impeach Vice Chair Prabhu

Vote Fails After Three-Hour Debate

By Rodolfo J. Fernandez, Crimson Staff Writer

After a debate of more than three hours, the Undergraduate Council last night voted down a motion to remove Maya G. Prabhu '94 from the office of vice chair.

Marc D. McKay '94 introduced the motion alleging that Prabhu had fixed the social committee elections last week.

As the council's vice chair, Prabhu presided over the social committee elections on Wednesday night.

The initial election results indicated that Tree F. Loong '94 and Danielle D. Do '93 had been elected co-chairs of the committee by a vote of seven to six.

McKay, who ran for chair along with Spyros Poulios '95, contested the election and a vote supervised the next day by Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 declared Poulios and McKay the winners by a margin of nine to four.

'All the Evidence'

"I don't have a videotape showing Maya fixed the election, but all the evidence points towards her," McKay said to the council last night.

Prabhu, however, denied any wrongdoing.

"Why would I risk everything that I have to fix the elections of the social committee," said Prabhu. "My first count was seven to six in favor of [Do and Loong] and I will stand behind it."

Citing council bylaws, Chair Malcolm A. Heinicke '93 would not reveal the exact count of the secret ballot vote.

In the course of the debate, a panel which had investigated the incident presented their report. The panelists, Michael P. Beys '94, David L. Duncan '93, Steven N. Kalkanis '93 and Benjamin D. Unger '94, said that while there was definitely tampering, they did not have sufficient evidence to accuse Prabhu.

Although there were only thirteen members of the committee, 17 ballots were found in the council office. Three of the four ballots which were not claimed by voting members as their own were for Do and Loong.

Prabhu, a representative from Dunster House, herself also acknowledged some tampering.

"Clearly there was tampering," Prabhu said in an interview after the meeting. "However, I don't know Low or when did it occur."

McKay, who represents Kirkland House, said after the meeting that members insinuated that he was recklessly attacking Prabhu.

"I knew this was going to happen and I'm not surprised that she wasn't recalled," McKay said. "But I am sur- prised that I was made out to be the bad guy."

Other Business

In other business last night, the councilelected Gin Lo '95 as secretary.

The body also voted to extend to Dunster House$750 for "capital improvements."

Dunster had been denied funds distributed amongthe houses earlier this month after missing adeadline for application

Other Business