Chem Offers Post To Berkeley Prof

Schultz to Decide in Next Few Months

By Ivan Oransky, Crimson Staff Writer

Peter G. Schultz, a biological chemist at the University of California at Berkeley, has been offered a tenured post in the Chemistry Department.

Schultz said yesterday he will make a decision on the offer within "a couple of months."

While he refused to say whether he will accept the post, Shultz said he is interested enough to visit Harvard a second time.

"I've never done that before," he said.

The chemist said he plans to visit the University next week.

Schultz is well known for his work with antibodies, which are proteins of the immune system. He demonstrated that antibodies, which help the body fight off diseases, can function as enzymes to catalyze biochemical reactions.

Schultz is currently working to expand the genetic code from the naturally occurring 20 amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, to well over 100.

By replacing amino acids in a given protein with such a large variety of synthesized amino acids, scientists hope to gain a better understanding of the function of proteins.

In addition, Schultz is targeting pharmacologically important receptors for the design of new drugs.

Schultz said it was "pretty much established" that his labs would take up space on the third floor of "the Link," a new building connecting the Hoffman and Mallinkrodt Laboratories, if he comes to Harvard.

Should he accept the post, Schultz will share the Link with Professor of Chemistry Charles M. Leiber, Weld Professor of Atmospheric Chemistry James G. Anderson and Professor of Chemistry Cynthia M. Friend, the only tenured woman in the department.

The building, in the form of an aboveground bridge, is scheduled for completion in the summer of 1993, according to project director Jeffrey J. Cushman.

Schultz received his B.S. in chemistry in 1979 and his Ph.D. in 1984, both from Cal Tech. He spent one year as a post-doctoral student with then MIT professor Christopher T. Walsh, now Kuhn professor of biological chemistry and molecular pharmacology at Harvard Medical School.

Lawrence Professor of Chemistry David A. Evans, while at Cal Tech, taught Schultz organic chemistry and served as his undergraduate advisor.

The biological chemist has been at Berkeley since 1985. In 1987, he was promoted to associate professor, and in 1987 was granted tenure.