Students Divided Over Date Rape Terms

Council's Definition Gets Narrow Majority, but Lacks Convincing Mandate

By Alessandra M. Galloni, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard undergraduates are almost evenly split between support for recommendations made by the College's Date Rape Task Force and those made by the Undergraduate Council last semester, according to a poll conducted last week by The Crimson.

Fifty-five percent of the 436 students surveyed at random said they agree with the Undergraduate Council's definition of rape as any act of sexual intercourse that occurs despite a person's expressed unwillingness.

The remaining students subscribed to the Date Rape Task Force's definition of rape as any act of sexual intercourse occurring without a person's expressed consent.

But a breakdown of the survey results by gender shows that while 60 percent of men polled support the council's definition, only 46 percent of women surveyed support this less stringent policy.

Poll results for the first-year class were evenly split, with sophomores, juniors and seniors leaning slightly towards the council definition--61, 57 and 51 percent, respectively.

The poll, conducted on October 21, has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.8 percent overall.

Despite the poll's indication of a sharp divide in student opinion, Council Chair Malcolm A. Heinicke '93 said last night that he believes the council is "a more representative body" than the Task Force.

"I'm confident that with a little bit of education people would support the council's definition," Heinicke said.

"Our proposal is more coherent, clear and fair...equitable" added Heinicke. "By that I mean a law or rule that has to apply to all people in the same manner."

Minna Jarvenpaa, president of the Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS), said she didn't think the results of the poll are fully representative of student inclinations.

"Most women support the Task Force definition," said Jarvenpaa. "Most men have doubts [about the Task Force definition] because they feel expressed consent means an infringement on the defendant's rights."

RUS has sent several letters to College administrators endorsing the Task Force's definition with the additional suggestion that rape work- shops should be implemented in the College, atleast for all first-years.

"I, and most of RUS, feel that the Universitypolicy can be much more demanding than legalpolicy...that it can enforce stricter standard ofsexual conduct," said Jarvenpaa. "The Task Forcedefinition should stand but be supplemented byeducation."

Administrators have reviewed both the TaskForce's and the council's definitions extensivelyand will likely adopt a new policy by the end ofthe semester, Heinicke said.

"I think the faculty has gone to great lengthsto listen to all the evidence that's out there,"said the council chair, who has discussed theissue with several University officials. "Myfeedback is that the administration viewed the[council's] literature as well written, coherentand intelligent."

Defining Rape

Q: The Date Rape Task Force has proposeda definition of rape as "any act of sexualintercourse that occurs without the expressedconsent of the person." The Undergraduate Councilhas proposed a definition of rape as "any act ofsexual intercourse that occurs despite theexpressed unwillingness of the person." Do youagree with the Task Force's definition,intercourse without expressed consent, or theUndergraduate Council's definition, intercoursewith expressed unwillingness?

UNDERGRADUATES

55% Undergraduate Council

45% TaskforceGraphicNancy E. Green

Defining Rape

UNDERGRADUATES

55% Undergraduate Council

45% TaskforceGraphicNancy E. Green