Computer Mapping Adopted

New Software Program Allows Harvard to Chart the Future

By Deborah T. Kovsky, Contributing Reporter

The ancient art of cartography is entering the twenty-first century, at least in Holyoke Center.

Thanks to a new computer program in the University Planning Group's office in Holyoke Center, Harvard is now able to more accurately chart its campus. The new program allows the University to produce complex computer drawn maps from raw data.

"Traditionally, mapping has always been done on paper," said Eric B. D'Souza, a member of the Planning Group staff.

The new Geographic Information System is a computer software package which translates tabular information--facts and figures--into visual terms. The program is expected to be a powerful tool in planning the future of the campus.

D'Souza said hand-drawn Harvard maps are often inaccurate, sometimes by as much as 20 feet. The maps that the new program produces are accurate within a foot or less and can show a myriad of other details, like a network of underground cables and utilities or the exact placement of the trees in the Yard.

Staff members say details like those are particularly important in planning new buildings or renovating old ones.

The program can show how University property is affected by local zoning laws, demonstrate how various facilities are used by different schools and departments, give a visual history of the University's structures, or help a building planner use available space more efficiently.

Implementing the program is a not a simple task, according to project manager Vsevolod Petriv. The "sheer volume" of the material makes entering the data a time-consuming and expensive part of the project.

But the program is still expected to save the University both time and money by enabling it to make better decisions in the future, according to Senior Campus Planner Harris S. Band.

As more details are entered into the data base, the program will be able to map interiors as well as exteriors of buildings. In a few years, faculty members can expect to have office spaces maximized by the program.