Just Playing for Fun

Other sports get all the perks: uniforms, fans, coaches, but ultimate frisbee athletes are...

By Peter K. Han, Contributing Reporter

Ultimate.

The name of the frisbee game conjures up images of the majestic, the grand and the noble.

But for the members of the Harvard ultimate frisbee team, the sport certainly isn't grand or majestic. The team practices in anonymity and competes without the fanfare of more publicized sports.

"It's a shame that more people don't come watch, because ultimate is so fast-paced and exciting," freshman team member Alex Berzofsky says.

Despite the lack of university support beyond the club sport status, the players enjoy the intensity of competition while maintaining a good deal of independence.

"Ultimate's great because it has a loose, free atmosphere. There are no coaches, so we learn how to play and to win on our own," Co-Captain Daryl Norcott says.

And while the Harvard frisbee might not enjoy the Varsity status of big-name college sports like football or basketball, it does possess an impressive record.

Over the last four years, the Crimson has been one of the top four teams in the Northeast.

Last year's squad came within two points of a treasured berth to the Collegiate Ultimate Frisbee National Championship, losing a heartbreaker to Wesleyan in the regional tournament.

Six key players graduated from last year's talented squad, leaving a lot of gaps in Harvard's 1992-93 team.

"We have maybe five people returning from last year, which means that some people are playing unfamiliar positions," Norcott says.

The ultimate team plays a year-round schedule, but "official" competition against Ivy League teams does not come until spring.

The autumn schedule holds a bevy of warmup contests against area college and club teams.

Norcott says that there is no secret ingrededin to a good utlimate player: "Disc skill, intensity and good attitude."

Strategy also plays a key role in the game.

"A lot of people think that we just run around and try to pass the frisbee, but there's a lot more to it," Co-captain Enver Kasimir says.

Most teams run a variety of offenses. While Harvard normally relies on short passes from a stack formation, the team always has to be ready for unusual attacks.

"On defense, we might vary our patterns according to the wind. Usually we play man-to-man, but sometimes we use the zone," sophomore Jon Katzman said.

Fall Schedule Underway

Harvard has already begun its fall schedule.

In addition to scrimmages against BC and Tufts, Harvard reached the quarterfinals at a tournament at Williams College two weekends ago.

In a preliminary round of the Williams tournament, the Crimson defeated the Yale Bulldogs, 13-11, after rallying from a 9-5 deficit.

"That was a nice win, but it doesn't mean much now," Berzofsky says. "We just have to concentrate on improving."

The good thing about the fall season, Kasimir says, has been its solidifying effect on the team.

"We've been able to establish a good ethic and get people more familiar with each other."

The season continues this Sunday with another tournament near Portland, ME.

"The tournament is a club team sectional, so it doesn't really count for us, but it will be a good chance to test ourselves against more experienced clubs," Norcott says.

"Hopefully, we can use the current period as a springboard to the future, and have some fun while we're at it."