Mansfield Discusses Presidential Election

By David B. Lat, Contributing Reporter

Backing Vice President Quayle and bashing Harvard feminists, Thomson Professor of Government Harvey C. Mansfield Jr. '53 talked politics with members of the Harvard Republican Club last night at Kirkland House dining hall.

Mansfield, the faculty advisor of the conservative Harvard Salient, discussed the upcoming presidential election and staunchly defended Republican "family values" in a question-and-answer session with 12 young Republicans.

"I don't think 'Murphy Brown' is good," he said in agreeing with Quayle's criticism of the television show. "I don't like the idea that one would become a single parent out of choice, out of independence. This is glamorizing the role of a single parent as if you had the right to have a child without a father."

But Man Mansfield seemed to differ with President Bush on another populartelevision show, "The Simpsons." In August, Bushsaid American families must start looking lesslike the Simpsons, but Mansfield praised thefamily as an ideal for conservatives.

"Marge doesn't work, you have two parents,three kids, and the two women are superior: Margeis superior morally, and Lisa is superiorintellectually," Mansfield said. "While the twoguys are just, well, average American males."

Mansfield said he does not believe the twomales in the White House will win the Novemberelection. "It looks like it won't even be close,"he said. "Although we mustn't give up hope, I'mafraid people have turned Bush off and juststopped listening...I am a conservative and aRepublican, but I'm more of a Republican because Iwant to win."

The professor also lashed out at feminists atHarvard.

"The feminists were doing their best to ruinthis University, by their partisan bullying, bytheir never hiring or inviting over women ofconservative opinions to come and talk," Mansfieldsaid.

Last year, Mansfield wrote a letter to TheCrimson calling the Committee on Instruction inWomen's Studies a "little ladies' sewing circle.