'Girls' Nights Out' Are Growing in Popularity

By Jerome J. Chou, Contributing Reporter

The parties have much in common with typical Harvard social gatherings--crowded dorm rooms, flowing kegs and blasting dance music.

But there is one obvious distinction: no men. For a few hours, before scattering to the rest of their evening activities, the guests at the increasingly popular "Girls' Night Out" parties have a room of their own.

"It's sort of like hanging out with your rooming group," said Allison G. Oaks '93, who organized a party in Currier House recently.

Although they say they welcome the opportunity for "female-bonding," those who take part in Girls' Night Out strongly oppose any political interpretation of their exclusionary parties.

"I realize that this can be seen as some sort of anti-institutional, antimale thing...but it's totally not some sort of statement," said Katherine F. Pearson '93.

All of the women contacted for this article insisted that the group is not a response directed at Harvard's all-male finals clubs.

"It's a completely non-threatening, fun thing," said one participant.

Yet the women acknowledge that the parties, which have been held at Eliot, Kirkland, Mather and Currier Houses, offer them a unique alternative to the traditional campus social scene.

"There aren't going to be too many nights when you go down to the Crimson Sports Grille and it's just women in there," said Oaks.

Girls' Night Out, which began two years ago as a small gathering of friends, takes place whenever the impulse strikes--usually about every two or three weeks, Pearson said.

This year's hosts say they have maintained an informal atmosphere while opening up the parties to all Harvard women. The parties are advertised by word-of-mouth, they say.