Barrett to Chair Education Committee

State Senator Says He May Use Cambridge School System as National Model

By Elizabeth J. Riemer, Contributing Reporter

State Sen. Michael J. Barrett '70 (D-Cambridge) will become chair of the Education and Job-Training Committee of the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) on November 30.

Barrett, who was appointed early this summer, will lead 50 NCSL state legislatures in defining and lobbying for their educational policy goals.

The Cambridge senator, who authored a cover story on longer school years for the Atlantic Monthly, said yesterday job training and overall educational reform are vital issues on his agenda for the upcoming year.

"I'm very hopeful that the states and President Clinton will focus in an unprecedented way on the non-college-bound," Barrett said.

"I expect President Clinton to tackle head on the problems of excellence and equity within the schools themselves," he added.

Barrett, who is currently sick with pneumonia but expects to take over his position as planned, considers the incoming Clinton administration an important factor in the committee's plans for education reform.

"Bill Clinton knows more personally about education and job training than any other issue," said Barrett. "I want Massachusetts and other states to work hand and glove with the first Democratic president we've had in years."

And although he will be acting in a national role on the education committee, Barrett plans to take advantage of his years of local experience.

"The Cambridge schools have models which can beexported across the country, and I hope to be aprimary exporter," he said.

Barrett previously served as vice chair of theNCSL education committee and currently serves asone of nine commissioners of the NationalEducation Commission on Time and Learning.

"He brings a wealth of knowledge about these[educational] issues," said NCSL Senior PolicySpecialist Aaron H. Bell. "He's going to be a verystrong chair."

Bell said the proposed Elementary and SecondaryEducation Act will be a major focus of thecommittee's upcoming efforts.

"The key position that we're taking is thatCongress make every effort to increase theflexibility the states can take in implementingdifferent portions of the program."

Barrett's Chief of Staff Andrew Rudalevige alsocited the importance of improving kindergartenthrough 12th grade education.

Barrett said the committee will also addressthe rising cost of higher education. "We're goingto be focusing on the issue of affordability," hesaid. "Close coordination will be a must.