Thai Princess Visits Harvard

Sirindhorn Commemorates Grandfather, Med School Alum

By Nara K. Ahn, Contributing Reporter

Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn of Thailand is visiting Harvard this week to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of her grandfather, who attended the Medical School and the School of Public Health.

The princess will greet members of the Thai community today in Sanders Theater at 11 a.m.

"It's an auspicious occasion for any Thai in the Boston area," said Veerathai Santiprabhob, who helped organize the princess's visit to Boston. "Everyone knows that she is a scholar. She is now a professor of history at the military academy in Thailand."

Her visit honors the medical achievements of Prince Mahidol, who after attending Harvard returned to Thailand with the medical knowledge he had acquired.

"We consider him as the father of modern medicine of Thailand," said Dr. KomatraChuengsatiansup, who coordinates the Thai StudentOrganization.

"By the knowledge [Mahidol] had from here, hewent back to Thailand and established the publichealth organization and made great contributionsto Thai medicine," Cheungsatiansup said.

Thursday afternoon the princess opened anexhibition at Harvard Medical School whichpresents the history of Mahidol's life and hiscontributions to Thai medicine, Cheungsatiansupsaid.

Yesterday the princess attended HistoricalStudies A-13, "Tradition and Transformation inEast Asian Civilization: China." At the end of thelecture, a line of Thai students led the princessfrom the room.

Patrika Montricul '92, one of the Thai studentswho helped escort the princess, said she is proudto take part in the princess's visit. "We arehonored to have had this opportunity to host hermajesty and feel privileged to have been able toshow her our respect and admiration," she said