Final Clubs Welcome New Members

`Punch' Process Successful Despite Enforcement of Stringent Alcohol Policy

By John Tessitore, Contributing Reporter

Ending their two-month long "punch" process, Harvard's nine all-male final clubs yesterday delivered invitations of membership to a select group of undergraduates.

The Inter-Club council, which binds the otherwise independent social organizations, designated Sept. 17 as the starting date and yesterday as the last day of the punch.

In the intervening two months, clubs held outings and dinners during which they whittled down membership lists through a series of cuts.

Students invited to join had to notify clubs of their decisions by noon yesterday.

Members said this punch marked the first year that all the clubs strictly abided by the College's alcohol policy.

In 1990, the Inter-Club Council, acting under pressure from alumni, banned alcohol in the club houses and prohibited hard alcohol at club sponsored events.

And in the summer of 1991, Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III solicited an agreement from the council to adhere to the College alcohol policy, which forbids serving underage students in any circumstances.

Harvard severed all ties with the clubs in 1984, citing University policies forbidding discrimination on the basis of sex.

Club members said these regulations were followed closely this year and that the "dry" punch did not suffer from lack of alcohol.

"Some people were worried that the new rules would put a damper on the punch, but they didn't," said Matthew R. Grenby '93, a member of the Fly Club.

Fox member Hernan Saenz '93 said the success of this year's punch "is due to a combination of a new set of rules and a conscious effort by the club members to pursue a safe alcoholic policy."

"It is a matter of the integrity of the members," Saenz said.

Candidates said the clubs made noticeable effort to communicate the new alcohol policies. A sophomore vying for membership in the Porcellian said the club printed the new "dry" laws on the invitations to club functions.

In the past, Cambridge police queried Epps' office about misconduct at the clubs. But Epps said last night that no details of the punch season were brought to his attention.

Club members also said that, unlike past years,no punch candidates were hospitalized for alcoholpoisoning.

"Perhaps because these new rules were in place,there were no serious incidents as there have beenin the past," Grenby said