Restaurant Opens in Square

By Stephen E. Frank, Crimson Staff Writer

With spotlights probing the night sky outside and champagne flowing freely to those inside, Harvard Square welcomed its newest upscale dining establishment last night.

A crowd of several hundred, including many local luminaries, turned out for the gala opening of Skipjack's. The restaurant, a self-described "seafood emporium," is located in the Charles Square Shops, near the Charles Hotel.

The younger sibling of its two sister restaurants in Boston and Brookline, Skipjack's is the brainchild of Jeffrey Senior and Chuck Sandner, president and vice president respectively of Restaurant Concepts, Inc. Both are former Legal Seafoods executives.

Skipjack's prices are slightly lower than Legal's with entrees that range from $9.95 to $18.95.

The menu includes several special entrees. The Shrimp Old Town, a Skipjack's special, consists of shrimp, artichokes, roasted peppers and olives tossed with cavatappi pasta.

The Jumbo Seafood Platter is a deep-fried mix of scallops, shrimp, clams, calamari and fish. And Skipjack's features poached, smoked, grilled, broiled or pateed salmon.

The interior architecture is elaborate, and renovations of the space reportedly cost $1 million.

"It looks lovely," said Murrow Professor of Press, Politics and Public Policy Marvin Kalb, a guest at last night's festivities. "If the service and food are as good as it looks, it'll be a nice addition to the Square."

Beth Pinsker contributed to the reporting of this article.