Lee Epic Draws Rave Reviews

By Anna D. Wilde, Crimson Staff Writer

The capacity crowd at the Loeb Janus Cinema last night bought their popcorn and Diet Cokes, soundly booed a blurb for Whitney Houston's new movie, and settled in for Spike Lee's new 3-hour-and-21-minute epic.

They were there to see the first showing of Malcolm X, Lee's examination of the slain African-American leader, and when it was over, they had one nearly unanimous response--"Believe the hype".

"I thought it was wonderful," said Shirley Harrell, a Boston resident who came to Cambridge to see the film. "I hope people listen to the message."

The crowd was a mixed one, with dress styles ranging from hip-hop baggy tocareer wear and a predominance of college-agedadults.

Even the people who were not perfectly pleasedwith the movie's portrayal of Malcolm X stressedthe importance of the project and advised othersto see it.

"I think it's impossible to put the whole lifeof a man like Malcolm in a 3-hour-21-minutemovie," said Zaheer R. Ali '94, president of theHarvard-Radcliffe Black Students Association.

But he "hopes it will cause people to look moreinto his life, the issues he raised, and what hehas to tell us today."

The new film premiered at 2:00 p.m. at theJanus to a rare 260-person crowd. Only twolocations in the Boston area are showing themovie, so cinema employees were not surprised thattickets for last night's show sold out by earlyafternoon.

"A lot of classes have called up to reserve thewhole theatre," said Christina A. DePalma, whoworks at the Janus Cinema. Desperate viewers wereoffering prices up to $50 for remaining ticketsyesterday, but to no avail.

The theater also hired a police officer toprovide extra security through Thanksgiving,although no serious trouble was expected, De Palmasaid.

Moviegoers gave a number of reasons forcoming--many said they were drawn by the publicitythe film has received.

"I thought with all of this hype, I might aswell see what it's about," said Tommy Chang, astudent visiting from California.

Others, who had studied Malcolm X's writingsand views, said they were interested in SpikeLee's interpretation and stressed the importanceof the slain leader's ideas to people today.

"The things he [Malcolm X] taught, like racialpride, economic independence and the importance ofcultural heritage, seem really applicable to thesituation right now," said Shirley Graham '94.

The movie's release has recently sparked debateand discussion over both the controversial Blackhero's legacy and the method used to portray him.

Many of Harvard's race-relations andAfro-American studies officials say they plan tosee the film.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III, who lastyear penned the introduction to a collection ofMalcolm X's speeches at Harvard, says he will notmiss it.

"It sounds like a very good movie," he said."People will be able to approach his [Malcolm X's]life with questions on particular ethnicexperience and universal experiences we all havein common."

K. Anthony Appiah, Professor of Afro-AmericanStudies and Chair of the College Committee on RaceRelations, and Professor of Afro-American Studiesand English and American Literature and LanguagePhillip Brian Harper also plan to see the film.Harper is assigning the movie to his class onBlack nationalism.

"I think it's one of the most important eventsin American culture and Black culture in a longwhile," h