They're Just a Little Green Around the Edges

On The John

By John C. Ausiello

Ireland is well-known for its soccer and its beer. The Irish are not known for their basketball--at least not yet.

Yesterday, the Irish Women's National Basketball team hit the Hub as part of its 11-day barnstorming trip through New England.

It should have felt right at home. After all, Boston's the home of the Sweeney brothers, the Sullivan clan, even the Kennedy empire.

Beantown is Irish.

Unfortunately, the Irish team did not feel so at home on the court, at least in chilly Briggs Cage.

On a snowy night, the Irish team came up short against a stronger Harvard squad, despite playing the Crimson tough.

The wins and loses however are not important.

"We came to the United States to gain in experience," Irish Assistant Coach Danny Thompson said.

Lets be honest, how much can you ask from the Irish team?

The United States owns hoops. Where else would you find the terms "tomahawk jam," "full court press," or "behind the back pass"?

If the Dream Team lost to another nation, let alone a foreign college team, Slick Willie would call a state of emergency.

Not National Pastime

On the other hand, basketball isn't exactly Ireland's pastime. Across the pond, open shots have a lot more meaining in pubs than on b-ball courts.

So, we have to be fair in evaluating these Dubliners.

This team can play at the U.S. collegiate level, which is a great start for a developing basketball country. And it suggests that the Irish women may finally qualify for their first Olympics.

Harvard was the better team last night, but led by pint-sized point guard Sandie Fitzgibbon, the Irish nearly stole one from the Crimson.

"There isn't a lot of size on our team," Irish Coach Bill Reagan said.

Exactly. The Irish squad had no inside game, forcing them to rely on the three-point shot too often. Still, had they not shot a dismal 35 percent from the floor, the outcome may have been different.

Their quickness and strong guard play caused numerous problems for the Harvard offense, which finished with 28 turnovers.

Furthermore, the Irish team had little time together to prepare for Harvard.

"Since many of our players are involved in the National League, it makes it hard to get together as a team," Reagan said. "Harvard probably trains more in a week than we do in six months."

Right now the odds are stacked against the Fighting Irish. They have little height and aren't together yet as a team.

Still they're competitive and having fun.

"We went to an Irish Club after the Yale game," Fitzgibbon said.

Sometimes it's easy to find a home away from home.